Need recommendation please

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's been almost a couple years since I have been on here and I moved since then. My previous neighborhood had over $100,000 in tailgates, wheels, tires, etc stolen off vehicles in one night! What's crazy was it was a "crew" with multiple vehicles hitting higher end neighborhoods and although neighbors had them on about 20 different camera systems, not a single one could read plates and the police said none of the footage helped really without plates. They actually came back 2 additional times over the next 6 months and each time stole in excess of $50k.

I need to install a new camera security system and I want to put in a dedicated LPR. I remember from conversations previously that I would need two cameras, one for a overview of everything and one specifically dedicated to LPR. If possible, I would like to mount it under my eve of my house (8 ft high) about 50 to 60 ft from the cul-de-sac where people slowly U-turn. I do not need a log, just need to be able to read plates if a incident ever occurred. What is the most cost effective solution you would recommend for that distance/angle or is it even possible at that angle/distance? Thank you!

Reaction score
Sorry about the problems. You really did not give the angle you expect. But check out this thread:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold post is a great one to view, as well as the LPR sub-forum.

Personally, I say get the 5241-z12 from @EMPIRETECANDY and have plenty of zoom for what you need. That is the goto camera here for LPR purposes. You might be able to get by with less zoom, but why chance it. 50-60 feet probably turns into 80-90 feet to get to a pinchpoint where you would get the angle unless the cul-de-sac is literally at your front door LOL. You are probably 40 feet just to the street unless the yard it tiny.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@samplenhold post is a great one to view, as well as the LPR sub-forum.

Personally, I say get the 5241-z12 from @EMPIRETECANDY and have plenty of zoom for what you need. That is the goto camera here for LPR purposes. You might be able to get by with less zoom, but why chance it. 50-60 feet probably turns into 80-90 feet to get to a pinchpoint where you would get the angle unless the cul-de-sac is literally at your front door LOL. You are probably 40 feet just to the street unless the yard it tiny.
Well our garage sticks out in front of the house, and the driveway is in front of that. Our driveway can only fit one fullsize truck in the driveway length wise, and even then, it is parked over the sidewalk section. So there is maybe 3 feet behind my truck to the edge of the cul-de-sac. I know my truck is a little over 18 feet long, so lets say 3 feet in front and 3 feet behind, so the driveway is roughly 25 feet long. The camera would be mounted under the eve there at the garage, and most cars are another 6 to 8 feet out as they turn around. So even if I'm off by up to 10 feet, that's no more than 45 feet, and that's high balling it. My driveway is the shortest driveway in our cul-de-sac, meaning my garage is the closest to the road. I will look into that model you mentioned though, thank you.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If lost exceed 100K, that is really big lost, 50-60feet can buy use a IPC-HFW7842H-Z 4K model, ANPR camera with a AI NVR, can catch them easily.
Yeah the police officers said it was a semi professional crew. They had cars scouting first, then multiple pickup trucks come in and about 6 guys would approach the target vehicle. One on each wheel, and two on the tailgate. They would grab concrete blocks from gardens, place them under the axles, and just use a Schrader air valve remover to let the air out of these larger sized off-road tires (like 33" to 35" tires) and then the vehicle just rested on the blocks and they could remove the wheels. Each person had a battery powered impact driver and a tool for removing locks on wheel lug nuts. They were gone in under 3 minutes with tires, wheels and tailgate. They stole so many they had to have gone and dropped them off, then came back for more later. Our community thought about putting gated entry up, but we have over 21 entrances to our large community so it's not cost effective to put up 21 gates/motors. Before I moved I presented an idea to the HOA to install LPR cameras in random places throughout the neighborhood and it would likely catch their plates sooner or later. I moved out of there before I heard anything about it though. I just realized the importance of needing a LPR since we had the thieves on about 20 different camera systems, from about 60 different angles, but none of them did almost any good other than telling the police it was a bunch of people, and a range of years of certain types of vehicles. We really needed the plates and it was like they knew nobody hardly ever has LPRs, so they were not worried at all about cameras. They even waved at multiple different cameras as they were stealing stuff. Thank you for your recommendation!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you take a look at this site to help you determine the true distance and see some representative samples for cameras at different distances. IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cul-de-sacs are big and if you have to zoom in tight to get the plate, so if you are in the round part of the cul-de-sac, you could miss cars and you have to get to the pinch point to reliably get plates.

See this post: Newbie question

And this thread that was a cul-de-sac: Need comments/critiques on my LPR proposal

Reaction score
Here are two shots using a B5442E-Z4E that I use as an overview cam of the intersection at my home. The cam is a 4MP bullet on a 1/1.8" sensor with an 8-32mm varifocal lens. I did not get this for LPR as I have two dedicated LPR cams. This one is tasked with getting make, model, color, markings and occupants information for the LPR cams. So I run it in color 24/7. There is a street light at the corner next to the stop sign and one across the street. These shots do pick up the plates bet consider that these cars are not going very fast. It does great in daylight for even the faster moving cars.

installed1.jpg This is at 70 feet and the lens is at 26mm.

INTS.20200719_205239675_1.jpg This one is at night and the distance is 95 feet and the lens is at 28mm

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are two shots using a B5442E-Z4E that I use as an overview cam of the intersection at my home. The cam is a 4MP bullet on a 1/1.8" sensor with an 8-32mm varifocal lens. I did not get this for LPR as I have two dedicated LPR cams. This one is tasked with getting make, model, color, markings and occupants information for the LPR cams. So I run it in color 24/7. There is a street light at the corner next to the stop sign and one across the street. These shots do pick up the plates bet consider that these cars are not going very fast. It does great in daylight for even the faster moving cars.

View attachment 77182 This is at 70 feet and the lens is at 26mm.

View attachment 77183 This one is at night and the distance is 95 feet and the lens is at 28mm
Wow, that would honestly be plenty right there. It makes sense though what others were saying, I might have to point the camera further out toward the opposite side of the cul-de-sac where it goes back to narrow street to make sure I get their plate. I am going to go get my 100 ft tape measure and measure the exact distances.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, that would honestly be plenty right there. It makes sense though what others were saying, I might have to point the camera further out toward the opposite side of the cul-de-sac where it goes back to narrow street to make sure I get their plate. I am going to go get my 100 ft tape measure and measure the exact distances.
If place has good light use the 4mp can be ok. 100FT+ better use the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So if I set the camera to record plates at the choke point, which is where the street turns into our cul-de-sac, it is 100 ft from the eve of the house to the "choke point".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you will be more satisfied with getting the plates at that location than getting angles plates from cars coming into the cul-de-sac at all different angles. The 5241E-Z12E will be the camera for that range.

Hopefully you reviewed the threads I linked that showed what can happen trying to get anything but the choke or pinch point in the cul-de-sac.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wanted to show this and get a final confirmation if the stats look acceptable...
Screenshot_20201221-084705~2.png
Screenshot_20201221-084748~2.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good - except you will zoom in tighter to get a higher PPF. At that distance, that camera is capable of a higher PPF unless your street is really wide. A typical subdivision street at that distance should report back a PPF of 86 or so. And the difference between readability of plates between a PPF of 37.7 versus 86 is huge.

You will want to zoom in to just see curb-to-curb left to right. Also, you will be getting the 5241E-Z12E, which is the newer version of the 5231. I told you that you would want the Z12E LOL. I'm glad you came here before purchasing a camera for 50-60 feet!

1608566551931.png 1608566562435.png