Need replacement for Logitech Alert camera

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I have two wired cameras (cat 5e) and 5 cameras using Logitech Homeplug/PoE. I plan on migrating the 5 cameras to a Trendnet 500mbps powerline kit. I would like to migrate just one camera initially, just to make sure it works.

Does anyone know if I will be able to run two different "homeplug" devices (the Logitech and the Trendnet) on the same electrical circuits?

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kits that support the HomePlug standard may run at different speeds. I believe the Logitech HomePlugs run at 200 megabits per second. The Trendnet 500mbps units (also known as HomePlug AV2) runs at a different speed. You should be able to mix and match Powerline adaptors running at different speeds and from different manufacturers - as long as they all support the HomePlug AV standard. So, the short answer is: Yes, they should work.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kits that support the HomePlug standard may run at different speeds. I believe the Logitech HomePlugs run at 200 megabits per second. The Trendnet 500mbps units (also known as HomePlug AV2) runs at a different speed. You should be able to mix and match Powerline adaptors running at different speeds and from different manufacturers - as long as they all support the HomePlug AV standard. So, the short answer is: Yes, they should work.
Well... I plugged in the the TP-Link AV500 Powerline kit base unit, and I lost ALL of my cameras from Blue Iris - even directly wired ones. I experimented a little more and confirmed that the TP-Link and Logitech powerline units can't co-exist. What I really don't understand is why the 2 cameras connected directly to my router (along with POE Injectors) were lost.

But, what was REALLY surprising is that the TP-Link remote power line units work with the Logitech base unit - as long as I don't use the TP-Link base unit. So, I can continue to use the Logitech powerline adapter (the one that connects directly to the router) and expand with the TP-Link remote powerline adapters.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It makes sense that the 200 Mbps Logitech base unit would not be able to receive data from the 500 Mbps TP-Link units connected to your cameras. The TP-Link units are probably downward compatible. As for my setup, I stayed with all 200 Mbps powerline adapters. From how I read the Homeplug AV standard, you may have to have both the Logitech and the TP-Link base units plugged into your router.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It makes sense that the 200 Mbps Logitech base unit would not be able to receive data from the 500 Mbps TP-Link units connected to your cameras. The TP-Link units are probably downward compatible. As for my setup, I stayed with all 200 Mbps powerline adapters. From how I read the Homeplug AV standard, you may have to have both the Logitech and the TP-Link base units plugged into your router.
Well, I can't have both plugged into the router - with both none of my cameras are on the network. The TP-Link units do work with the Logitech unit, so I'll continue using the logitech unit.

I tried using just the TP-Link base unit, but if I disconnect the base Logitech unit and use the base TP-Unit I can't get the TP-Link remote unit to work, let alone the Logitech remote units.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My advice was based on ascertains made by the HomePlug AV Alliance and not on practical experience. I believe that you are now in a better position than I am to advise someone on this issue. My problems with these wall warts were a bit different in that certain cameras kept losing video. That is why I am in the process of hard wiring them to the Ethernet.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My advice was based on ascertains made by the HomePlug AV Alliance and not on practical experience. I believe that you are now in a better position than I am to advise someone on this issue. My problems with these wall warts were a bit different in that certain cameras kept losing video. That is why I am in the process of hard wiring them to the Ethernet.
I appreciate your advice - I knew it was theoretical - but I figured I'd try it. I would love to hard-wire my cameras, but unfortunately, my router is in a poor location to get cable to most of the cameras.

Keith L.

n3wb
Reaction score
Realize this thread is over four years old now, but for the possible benefit of other Logitech Alert owners who come across it, I wanted to post here that I just easily and inexpensively replaced a failing 700e power adapter (camera was still fine) with a $9 iCreatin Wall Plug 48w POE (Power Over Ethernet) injector and a TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter, which sell as a pair for just $29.

There was no configuration required, literally plug and play straight out of the boxes, and Alert Commander immediately found and connected the camera just as before with the original power supply.

Kudos to Logitech for using reliable hardware standards in these cameras.

As for why we bother to keep our Alert cameras in this era of smart, HD WiFi IP cams: Logitech Alert zone-based motion detection is free, the Windows app is one of the most user-friendly interfaces for basic residential surveillance (I find BlueIris unnecessarily technical, fwiw), the local camera SD to PC video download works seamlessly, and the Alert mobile app still works pretty well on both Android and iOS for live viewing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk