Network from Barn to House

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have multiple cameras in my barn that are connected to a BI computer. We lived in the barn loft while building our house, so everything is setup and working fine in the barn. I wanted to send that LAN over to the house so I bought 2 Ubiquiti M2 and a Ubiquiti AP. The first M2 is setup on the barn as a Access Point and the second M2 is at the house as a Station. The Station is connected to a simple switch. The Ubiquiti AP is connected to the switch and mounted inside my house.
I have great connection for the internet which is coming from the barn, but I can't access the cameras on the LAN. When I look on my phones LAN connection ip address, it shows I'm on the same subnet.
Any idea where I messed up?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you can ping the access point from your barn. Also, if connecting to the wap in the house, you should pick up a dhcp address from your barn router. Check that the ptp link is actually in bridge mode, both ends of link should be managed on the same subnet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Kaos , more info:
The unique static IP's that you assign to the UBNT radios: just pick ones outside of the router's DHCP pool.
Example: if router LAN is 192.168.1.1, and its' DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 to .99, then just use .100 and up for your static assignments. Personally, I use 192.168.1.200 to .254....plenty of room.

Last edited:

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Working on the suggestions given.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@Kaos are the devices in the house on the same subnet as the devices in the barn? I know you mentioned Layer-2 connectivity into the house from the Ubiquiti gear, I have the nanobeams from Ubiquity setup in the same manner and I know the AirOS config also has the ability to have one of the devices act as a router so that clients on the "inside network" in this example, the house, could in theory be configured to be on a different 192.168.x.x. network in which case you would have a routing issue between the 2 networks with using just a simple switch. Just figured I would throw that out there, it may not be the case in your setup but thought I would mention it.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went back and connected by unifiAP so I could get a better understanding of the settings and looked at the M2s to make sure they were ptp. BI is connected and working now!
Wish I new exactly what I did so I could specifically say what worked, but it is working. Thank each of you for your ideas, it did help me out this time and will definitely reference it in the future.