Network IP camera configuration panel

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Starting to work the sub stream as suggested but I can’t find Network IP camera configuration panel. I found this in the camera section my one and only.D44FB648-A32A-4164-96ED-1DE66D0746E4.jpeg

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is what I found.

The camera sub stream is exactly as it shows it should be in the help section Except maybe the bit rate. The difference in the bit rate, main 2048 and sub 512.
Also the resolution main, 2560-1440 and sub, 704x480.
Suggestion?

Hopefully everything I learn setting up this camera will be about the same as the others I purchase.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll set up the substream itself in the camera.

In BI, under the Video tab > Configure... button > Stream profiles > Sub is where you'll point BI to it.

For most Dahua cams the string for the substream will be:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

It differs from the Main by "subtype=1" vs "subtype=0" for the main.

The screen that you posted is just showing the current traffic flow from the streams.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok I haven’t touched this section yet in BI. I would physically type what you posted in the Sub section? Where are you supposed to be the information you posted? I haven’t seen what anywhere in the camera. Yet anyway! Still looking. Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera probably has substream enabled be default.

In BI, you don;t have to type it in - it is a pulldown for the substream in your image above.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera probably has substream enabled be default.

In BI, you don;t have to type it in - it is a pulldown for the substream in your image above.
With your help I think I’m getting somewhere. I accidentally hit the scroll wheel on my mouse and the information you gave me was right there. In the camera section it now shows the Main stream and Sub stream. The Sub stream didn’t show prior to this. Both streams now show about the same fps 30/0.50. The power consumption dropped about 3%. From approx. 8% to 3%. that’s with one camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With your help I think I’m getting somewhere. I accidentally hit the scroll wheel on my mouse and the information you gave me was right there. In the camera section it now shows the Main stream and Sub stream. The Sub stream didn’t show prior to this. Both streams now show about the same fps 30/0.50. The power consumption dropped about 3%. From approx. 8% to 3%. that’s with one camera.
30 fps is much too high for your purposes; Log into the cam's webGUI (a link to its IP is right there in BI on the "video" tab), go to video settings and on main stream lower frame rate to 15fps, set frame interval to match (15); change bit rate type to type "CBR" and bit rate to 4096 (as a start).

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. You need to match FPS and iframes, especially if using BI AI.

Just keep in mind that "spec sheet wise" is under ideal conditions. Does your vehicle get the spec'd out MPG every fill up? I doubt it LOL.

Do a freeze frame capture of motion at night coming from 30 FPS. I bet it is a blur. But watching it realtime probably is silky smooth LOL.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 60FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
30 fps is much too high for your purposes; Log into the cam's webGUI (a link to its IP is right there in BI on the "video" tab), go to video settings and on main stream lower frame rate to 15fps, set frame interval to match (15); change bit rate type to type "CBR" and bit rate to 4096 9as a start).
Ok did that and the Main stream and Sub stream dropped to 15/1fps.

What about the sub stream in the camera should I also change to the same settings in the Main stream. The numbers you recommended?

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1 above. You need to match FPS and iframes, especially if using BI AI.

Just keep in mind that "spec sheet wise" is under ideal conditions. Does your vehicle get the spec'd out MPG every fill up? I doubt it LOL.

Do a freeze frame capture of motion at night coming from 30 FPS. I bet it is a blur. But watching it realtime probably is silky smooth LOL.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 60FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

I can‘t see for crap with these old eyes but all the videos look pretty good except for the lower range being a bit choppy but they still look clear. I’m sure the camera used is of high quality. The one I have to be honest is pretty crappy. Next ones will be better I hope! Thanks for the Videos.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok did that and the Main stream and Sub stream dropped to 15/1fps.

What about the sub stream in the camera should I also change to the same settings in the Main stream. The numbers you recommended?
My 2MP cams' main is 1920 x 1080 and sub is 640x480, so set YOUR sub's resolution the next increment below your main's top resolution, FPS and frame interval to 15, bit rate type to CBR and bit rate to about 2048..see how that looks.

Last edited: