Network Problems

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all!

Firstly I wanted to tell you about the system I'm installing. Its a 16 camera system with 4-5 ptz's maybe a few 4k cameras too. This is going to be sprawled over a large propperty (which offers many unique challenges in its self)!

So far I'm using a dahua nvr and their 3mp ip66 bullet cameras (the new camera) and 3 "mini PTZ's" generic brand, I'm sure there is a thread here about their firmware. I can give more info as needed.

Have installed 4 cameras so far, however this last camera has caused a bit of a problem.

After installing the latest camera, one of my other cameras in my network stopped working. Now I thought this might be an IP conflict, however, the camera doesn't seem to be sending out any packets at all. I connected wireshark (with poe injector) and no packets are being sent!

Not only that but the latest camera I can't seem to find. I think it's on a different subnet, because it is giving out requests on a 192.168.1.5 address and the router is on 192.168.0.1. Once changing to .1
the camera can't be found!

Interestingly on my nvr it can detect an ip at 10.1.1.72!!!! Which I reckon is the new camera (didn't appear before).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get your hands on a PoE injector and plug the camera directly into a computer/laptop with a GigE network port, configure that to be on the same network as the camera's defaults and see if you find it then.

when mixing and matching brands and nvr's you never know what the default config will be, probably best to configure it manually to something sane you know the NVR will accept before plugging it into the nvr.

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How easy would it be for you to take the camera down? I'd be interested to know what happens if you plug the camera into your network normally, i.e. not going into the NVR. You'll need a power source obviously, whether that be an adaptor, PoE injector, or PoE switch.

Is 192.168.1.5 possibly the "default" IP address of the camera before its configured?

* Disclaimer -- I am buying my cameras soon, but haven't done so yet, and hence, I have not yet gone through the process of setting up any cameras on my network.

EDIT: What @nayr said, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for double post, I couldn't edit my previous one.

I just wanted to add, that the NVR is compatible with the cameras. I have tested it previously - before I put them up.

Its interesting though because the NVR can "see" a device on an a ip that's not even in the same class as my homes network.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible you have something else handing out DHCP. Nayr is right, connect directly and verify the camera settings.

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Aighty I managed to get one of the cameras working - the one that gave me the packets. I used the dahua config tool which managed to find it when directly plugging the laptop in even with it being outside the network class, changed it to the right class and subdomain, hooked it back up to the network and it worked! Great!

It's all good though I'm learning lots from delving into CCTV! It's harder then I thought it'd be to set it all up, but it's also much more rewarding!

There is still that one camera which doesn't seem to be sending any packets what so ever. I didn't even do anything to it, it just stopped working when I plugged in my latest camera.... So I assumed it was an IP conflict.... however it's not sending any packets at all when I connect to it directly with a laptop (and POE of course), and I can't find it either!

I think I may have dislodged my wiring to it somehow.... I'll line test tomorrow (weather hasn't been good today).

Also at the moment I have this dahua NVR, but I need to add more cameras eventually (it only supports 8)... this will mean I need to get a new NVR - I was thinking of building my own NVR and running linux on it instead of buying a ready to go one? What are your thoughts one this? Also what about NAS storage? Can I playback directly on NAS and how does it work with events etc? What are your suggestions people?

Thank!!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your nvr will cap out at 8 feeds.. only thing you got w/linux is sadly junk.. I simply used FTP storage for far too long, had to have m own scripts keep hdd's from filling up and then playing back video required a bunch of hoops.. no where as nice as the NVR.

Always buy 16 camera NVR's, its cheaper to throw down another $20-50 now than a couple hundred all over again later down the road.

lots of people here run PC-NVR's, but they suck power down like nobody's business, my dahua NVR WITH its 2 HDD's is likely near 12W @ 120V

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! So the other cameras is still not working. I tested the line and it's all good - so it must be something else. The camera seems to boot because it pans and tilts through it's range, however it is still not outputting any network data - no ARP requests - nothing.

Bare in mind this camera previously worked the model is [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]JE-SCB405IP-V10, it's a Hikvision based camera. [/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Here is it in operation:[/FONT]

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is the same model as the others then it should pull the same default IP. If it somehow pulled a different IP range or it is conflicting with another device it would not respond. Have you tried a direct connection to the camera? Most modern NICs no longer require a crossover cable as they auto negotiate the TX,RX connections. With a direct connection you should be able to contact it. If it still fails it may simply be a bad camera.

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it was actually working before and I've changed the ip, and no it won't work with a direct connection. So I'm starting to think it's a dodgy camera :( it used to work though.... I think somehow its corrupted.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
check your cables. did you hook it up using a different ethernet cable before/after it was working?
if so, try jiggling the plugs on both ends or just cut them off and recrimp...

and that's a huisun/imporx mini-ptz. somewhat compatible with hikvision systems, but not completely.
mine all came with default IP of 192.168.0.99, fwiw. should be findable on your LAN with SADP,
assuming it's got power and your wiring is OK...

Last edited by a moderator:

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I tested the wiring today with a cable tester so I don't think that is the issue unfortunately. Yeah, I couldn't find it with SADP :( and I'm using the same cables as before. I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't work?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cable tester? you mean one of the continuity testers? that just tells you that you wired the ends correctly, not that the cable is good.. seen plenty of bad cables have no problem lighting up a led, but establishing a good link.. nerp.

put it on a bench with a prefab cable

hqdby1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep a continuity tester!

Well if that's a possibility then okay I shall do this tomorrow!