Network security

Reaction score
I have a cheap Dlink and an Amcrest camera I use to watch my dog. After reading the forum I see that they are not secure, or much good for that matter. I'm also port forwarding them through a Comcast DPC3941 modem which I also read is bad. And the Amcrest IP2M 841 doesn't work with https remotely, only locally, which makes it worthless. From what I've read , VPN is the way to go, but I don't think my modem has a VPN server option. I'll have to check and see if any Comcast approved modems support a VPN server. If not I'll have to bridge the Comcast modem and connect a router to it that does support VPN. Is this what you guys do that have Comcast?

Thanks, John

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a cheap Dlink and an Amcrest camera I use to watch my dog. After reading the forum I see that they are not secure, or much good for that matter. I'm also port forwarding them through a Comcast DCP3941 modem which I also read is bad. And the Amcrest IP2M 841 doesn't work with https remotely, only locally, which makes it worthless. From what I've read , VPN is the way to go, but I don't think my modem has a VPN server option. I'll have to check and see if any Comcast approved modems support a VPN server. If not I'll have to bridge the Comcast modem and connect a router to it that does support VPN. Is this what you guys do that have Comcast?

Thanks, John
No ISP modems do VPN, they are just a modem, too buy a device, router or firewall that will do it, or set up a server but there's really no need for that.

Reaction score
No ISP modems do VPN, they are just a modem, too buy a device, router or firewall that will do it, or set up a server but there's really no need for that.
The Comcast modem is a combo modem/router/WAP, but the router functionality is limited, to say the least ;) Thanks