Network Switch for IP POE Cameras

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

To provide a brief overview of my setup, I have 8 Lorex E891AB cams, 1 Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW cam, and one IPC-HFW5442T-ASE can I got from Andy on Amazon. I have some of the Lorex cameras running into a Lorex NVR with the remaining cameras running into a cheap 5 port Amcrest switch. All cameras and the NVR are running into Blue Iris.
As far as networking, I have an Edgerouter-X at the front with a Cisco SG series managed switch (non-POE) behind the router. With this scenario, I have multiple VLANs set up for different scenarios (ie cameras, BI server, WiFi, home/master, TV/IOT, work and guest networks).
Right now, I would like to begin the process of research for a POE switch with the sole purpose of just powering the cameras. I think I can get by with a non-managed/dumb switch as all of my networking is handled by the aforementioned devices. My goal is to eliminate the Lorex NVR and have all the cameras powered by one source. I would like a switch with at least 16 ports to accommodate additional cameras as well as possible future replacement of the existing Lorex cameras.
Long story, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a switch to accommodate my situation? I have looked on several sites and just feel a little overwhelmed. I would like something economical, long lasting/dependable. Again, my logic tells me that a dumb switch would work, but should I give managed a second look? One item I have found is listed on the link below. However, I’m not sure if this would be a good purchase or if I should look at brands like Netgear. Thank you in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I been using that exact switch for a year and a half. It is a solid performer. My camera isolation is via a 2nd NIC in the BI machine to support an entirely different network scheme. Just stay away from low end PoE switches. They use switching power supplies and struggle to come back, under load, from a power failure and can brick when trying. Been there, done that.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I been using that exact switch for a year and a half. It is a solid performer. My camera isolation is via a 2nd NIC in the BI machine to support an entirely different network scheme. Just stay away from low end PoE switches. They use switching power supplies and struggle to come back, under load, from a power failure and can brick when trying. Been there, done that.
Great, thank you. I was just a little wary since I was not familiar with the brand. I have seen BV Tech switches with good reviews, but the one I linked to on Amazon seemed to have better reviews.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, which switch did you end up getting?

how is it ?

how much did you pay ?

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a stack of 3x Cisco Catalyst C3750X PoE Gbps switches (48 ports each) that are interconnecting my infrastructure at home. I am going to be using these for the cameras. You can get one for less than $200 now off eBay.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a stack of 3x Cisco Catalyst C3750X PoE Gbps switches (48 ports each) that are interconnecting my infrastructure at home. I am going to be using these for the cameras. You can get one for less than $200 now off eBay.
How many cameras do you run ?

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey, which switch did you end up getting?

how is it ?

how much did you pay ?
I actually wound up getting the IP cam power switch initially listed on this thread. I believe it was about $140 for the 16 port version. So far, it seems to be working fine, no issues with power. However, I must mentione that I currently have only 9 cameras hooked up to it so far. I have not tried with a PTZ yet, but so far I am happy.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually wound up getting the IP cam power switch initially listed on this thread. I believe it was about $140 for the 16 port version. So far, it seems to be working fine, no issues with power. However, I must mentione that I currently have only 9 cameras hooked up to it so far. I have not tried with a PTZ yet, but so far I am happy.
I am actually leaning towards just getting that switch too.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am actually leaning towards just getting that switch too.
It is supposed to be POE+ and capable of pushing 30 watts to ports. I would really love to put a PTZ on there to test that, but it’s going to take me a while to save up for that :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running an IPCamPower with 14 cameras on it at the moment with no problems. I comes up with no problems if there's a power failure that lasts longer than the UPS can power it. I don't have a PTZ, yet, but wouldn't expect any problems with the switch handling the extra load. Just guessing, but the load is probably around 80-100 watts at night between the cameras and IRs in the cameras.

Last edited: