Network Time Help

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr I noticed you are very knowledgeable with networking, and I am not, and was wondering if you could help me out with camera time. I have two NIC cards in my BI PC. One card has the entire camera system and the other is hard wired to my router for internet access. The camera NIC is on 192.168.2.X and the Internet NIC is 192.168.1.X. Is there a way for me to have my cameras all sync off of my local machine automatically so as to keep them close to each other. The manual option works for a while, but they eventually drift apart. I tried running windows time server but I was still unable to get the cameras to connect to it for time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this nice piece of software to run your own local NTP Server on your BI Machine: http://www.timesynctool.com/

then configure each camera to use your BI IP for NTP and update as frequently as they can.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried that, not able to connect to internet from camera...I believe that is because of two NIC setup and separate sub nets.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayer Forgive my ignorance...I have installed the software and it is running. I set the camera to point to the local machine 192.168.2.200 port 123 and it just spins before eventually giving me "failed to connect to test server". I have Net Time Server and Client allowed on private for the firewall settings. I shouldnt have to do any port forwarding as this traffic shouldn't even go through the router correct?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
correct, did you allow UDP through local firewall? you might try lowering the windows firewall to your camera network and see if that helps.. just for troubleshooting.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it...I guess I am a bit confused on Firewall settings. Apparently just allowing the software through wasn't sufficient and I had to add an additional incoming rule for port 123. Seems to be working now.Thanks a lot. Hopefully I didn't open up any vulnerabilities in the process.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
running a local time server is perfectly safe, your doing it right.. you'll find your cameras stay in tighter sync now with a local NTP server... most public ntp servers are actually pools of hosts so each camera could get a different time server in a different location and there times will be just slightly out of sync

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it!

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr any idea why my cameras wont update for DST? With what I thought was the time server going, I dont see why it wont.. My BI pc and BI itself have the right time, but the cams didnt adjust..Any ideas?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the hik's default DST settings enable on the first sunday of april. go into the advanced config / system / DST tab and set it to second sunday in march,
at least for us in the USA (this year...)

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the hik's default DST settings enable on the first sunday of april. go into the advanced config / system / DST tab and set it to second sunday in march,
at least for us in the USA (this year...)
What about the Mini PTZ?

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about the Mini PTZ?
I can't find a setting in my mini. I ended up just changing the time zone to Atlantic (GMT-4). Ill just have to change it back in November.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks @nayr, makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -
@pozzello thanks, I appreciate your help as well

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't find a setting in my mini. I ended up just changing the time zone to Atlantic (GMT-4). Ill just have to change it back in November.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks @nayr, makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -
@pozzello thanks, I appreciate your help as well
@biggie, exactly what I did for now.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yup. seems to be an oversight in their firmware. kinda lame really, cuz even my cheapo $20 720 p IP cams support configurable DST...

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use this nice piece of software to run your own local NTP Server on your BI Machine: NetTime - Network Time Synchronization Tool

then configure each camera to use your BI IP for NTP and update as frequently as they can.
I have seen timesynctool mentioned in a few threads. I always wonder about the safety of software that is published by an unknown author. I'm not suggesting timesync tool is unsafe; in fact, it's been recommended on this forum by some of the most highly-regarded posters, so I feel pretty good about it. However, in general, how do you guys get comfortable with a piece of software that is not from a known/trusted source?