Networking Issue

rango

n3wb
Nov 29, 2023
3rd rock from the sun
I have a Blue Iris system with 9 cameras (8 wired, 1 wireless) that has been running for about 5 years. Had a recent lightning strike and had to replace my switch and wireless router. The switch (connected to all wired cameras) is in the attic with a Cat 5 cable to the wireless router. Randomly I will get a "Failed to Connect" on the wired cameras with the wireless camera still connected. If I disconnect/reconnect the cable between the switch and router, the wired cameras will re-establish their connection. The switch is a Mokerlink 11 port POE, and the router is a TP-Link AX3000. Any troubleshooting help is appreciated.

Had a recent lightning strike and had to replace my switch and wireless router.
Sorry it's a little unclear, did you replace the PoE switch? (you could have another non-poe switch)

Last edited:
Have you used a cable tester to verify you have connection between the terminals on each side?

I use something like this:

I have a Blue Iris system with 9 cameras (8 wired, 1 wireless) that has been running for about 5 years. Had a recent lightning strike and had to replace my switch and wireless router. The switch (connected to all wired cameras) is in the attic with a Cat 5 cable to the wireless router. Randomly I will get a "Failed to Connect" on the wired cameras with the wireless camera still connected. If I disconnect/reconnect the cable between the switch and router, the wired cameras will re-establish their connection. The switch is a Mokerlink 11 port POE, and the router is a TP-Link AX3000. Any troubleshooting help is appreciated.
If this is the switch you have, it may be the problem. 8 cameras (of unknown resolution) on a 10/100 uplink plus poor reviews. You'll have better luck with a Netgear or maybe even a TP-LINK, IMO.

It's the old "you get what you pay for." Generally a switch that costs from one-third to one-half of other name brand switches won't perform as well or last as long.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: looney2ns
Yep, the Mokerlink junk has proven to be problematic along with early failures.

A POE switch is the backbone of your camera network, that's that last place you should try to save a few bucks.
Stick with @TonyR suggested replacements.

Reactions: bigredfish