never hire cheap labor.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is happening here??? Are we to assume the main supply line was breached hence the massive flow of water coming out of the wall?? The video also doesn't explain if the plumber in the video is there to fix the problem vs he indeed caused the problem???

Regardless, the one comment from I suppose from the person taking the video to call the police???

WTF - stupid shit . . .

What is / was the police going to do about water gushing out of the wall??? Worst case the idiot could have said call the FD. :facepalm:

Guess whoever caused the problem never learned the wood cutter motto Measure twice - cut once! :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, he wasn't licensed...no "plumber's crack." :lol:

I stay away from plumbing but after owning 4 different houses in 50 years one has to sometimes tackle the basic, the minor stuff from time to time, like it or not.
One thing I've always practiced when replacing a supply line for the sink faucets or the toilet or replacing a faucet or toilet flush valve and have to use the supply line shutoff.....know where the MAIN shut off to the house is and have the wrench ready is in case the supply line shutoff breaks or won't shut off.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently there was only 1 shut off valve for the entire building and it cost the tenant $150 per hour to shut it off. Nuts

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The video description has the whole story. And all the top comments on the video are berating commenters who didn't read the description. lol

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, he wasn't licensed...no "plumber's crack." :lol:

I stay away from plumbing but after owning 4 different houses in 50 years one has to sometimes tackle the basic, the minor stuff from time to time, like it or not.
One thing I've always practiced when replacing a supply line for the sink faucets or the toilet or replacing a faucet or toilet flush valve and have to use the supply line shutoff.....know where the MAIN shut off to the house is and have the wrench ready is in case the supply line shutoff breaks or won't shut off.
Agreed, I try very hard to stay in my lane if its something that's really complicated or don't have the tools / experience. Having said that I can't thank the creation of the Internet enough where the average person can simply Google / YouTube just about any subject / topic.

This past summer I had a slow drip coming out of a shower handle that quickly escalated to full on drips & bobs. I must have called around no less than five plumbers to come down to take care of this. Three never ever called back while one said the entire tub surround had to be removed from the bathroom wall??? :facepalm:

I wanted to laugh because honestly thought he was just having a go at me - He wasn't! :mad:

The last and fifth so called master plumber told me sight unseen said removing the handle and replacing the cartridge was extremely complex and would require at least four hours to R&R at a rate of $85.XX. Obviously my bull shit meter was pegged all the way so told him to pound sand and fuck off. :thumb:

I can honestly say the process was a lot easier to complete than the two idiots trying to scam me indicated. The hardest part was trying to remove the set screw from the handle which was firmly seized in place. I broke several Allen keys and a super expansive one from my Armstrong tool set.

At the end of the day a reverse bit was used to hollow out and remove said screw from the handle.

Prior to all of that I shut off the main water line to the house, closed the supply from the HWT, and purged the line to both shower / tubs. All told the entire process took about 25 minutes to replace the handle and new cartridge which I have to give a shout out to Delta!

Delta is another shinning example of service after the sale and truly standing by their lifetime warranty on their wares. Not once did I get asked show me a receipt, give me proof of the defect / fault, send me the defective part first and we'll send you a new one later!

All they asked was a photo of the trouble part so the correct one could be sent.

Delta Rocks . . . :thumb:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Teken - cross threading here, but seems about time for you to talk about master plumbers lol

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
video is older than the internet, but still fun to watch

I'm not sure what is happening here??? Are we to assume the main supply line was breached hence the massive flow of water coming out of the wall?? The video also doesn't explain if the plumber in the video is there to fix the problem vs he indeed caused the problem???
depends. if that is a detached house it should be possible to close the main valve before the watermeter ..
if this is an apartment building...

a friend of mine installed a dishwasher into his kitchen... needed to cut some holes into kitchen cabinets.. so he used a electric saw ... not sure why but he cut the water pipe before his own watermeter... so he cannot close the valve in his apartment.
it took them over 30 minutes to find valve in the basement... the water damage was huge after...

sometimes its behind locked doors... you have to call fire department for help.
so best what you can do is what you see in the video... try to stop the water were the pipe is broken

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The video description has the whole story. And all the top comments on the video are berating commenters who didn't read the description. lol
I should have watched the video on the app vs watching it here as it didn't offer the ability to see the comments.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to save people from having to wonder how this all unfolded:

Read the full description below. This is a lesson in why you should never hire cheap labor. Full description: All hiring and decisions were exclusively between the landlord and plumber. The woman with the steam vacuum is the tenant of this low income apartment with her two children. They reported a leaking bathroom sink to their landlord. The landlord, a very problematic, very cheap, Persian female, calls in a self-appointed Hispanic plumber named Wilmer. Wilmer is the kind of cheap labor that cuts corners to try and save money.

It should come as no surprise, with these buildings having been built in the 1970's and earlier, that nothing is up to code. This means, in order to shut the water off for this one apartment, the entire building's water would have to be shut down. The apartment complex requires a $150 fee to be paid every 30 minutes the water is turned off. The shut off valves and water heaters are behind locked doors and are only accessible by the complex staff. This is obviously a flawed system compared to the ideal of each apartment having separate shut off valves.

The landlord is far too cheap to do anything about it. Wilmer tried to please the cheap landlord by saving her $150 on the bill - you guessed it - by repairing the leak with the water still on. Wilmer, confident in his abilities and armed with his trusty 5 gallon bucket, knows that he will always get her return business if he pulls this off. He gets underneath the sink and unleashes a 90PSI torrent of steaming hot water (don't worry, the minion slippers are fine).

All in all, two apartments were ruined, and all affected tenants had to vacate the apartment for extensive repair. This video proved the incompetence of both the landlord and plumber, thus, the landlord was forced to pay all damages to all parties involved. For all the morons who complain that I should have put down the camera and helped this water-logged jackass - I chose not to help for liabilities sake, and instead documented the incident.

The landlord tried to pull a fast one and blame the tenants, but the video proved the tenants innocence, and the lying bitch of a landlord was held accountable for the entire situation. Who can deny how funny this video ended up being. Without this video, the tenants would have been screwed over, and you wouldn't be laughing your ass off at this hilarious situation. Quit watching if you think otherwise.

Last, I am not a tenant here, but I am friends with these folks. They are good people. After the flood, they relocated to a much newer apartment complex that is owned and run by a trustworthy landlord. Their new apartment is maintained regularly and is up to code. Always document incidents like this, it saved these people and can very well save you from a lawsuit - the same reason many people buy dash cams.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
That sucks. I had a pipe burst when i was away for the day January 2020 came home to almost the entire house flooded. Still putting some of the pieces back together as I put the insurance money toward a repipe. Just a few more details to fix. But imagine coming home to an 1" of water in almost every room. They had to remove drywall in almost all rooms about 3' up and all the floors, including nice tile floor and some 4 month old wood plank flooring. Re-piped because I never want to go through that again.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya that’s sucks, hopefully the apartment building had concrete floors, but even then it’s still a lot of damage. I remember my first job in the low voltage industry was replacing fire alarm strope lights and sirens in every room of a flooded out apartment building. Someone opened up a fire hydrant in the hallway on a upper floor. What a disaster that site was.