New BI user questions

Reaction score
Can anyone help me on the following questions please.

1)How do i make BI automatically delete recordings when the drive gets full.
2) when i play back recordings for say 10am why are they in 'clips'? Why cant i just replay 10am and carry on till 2pm etc. Its annoying having the recordings in sections. Can i not just either get rid of the clips or have very long clips of 2 hours or something.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Answers to all of those questions can be found in BI's built-in "Help."
  • Go to chapter entitled "Recording and Clips."
  • Read "Recording Options".
  • Read "Clip Folders".
If you still need help, holler back. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A "Clip" refers to a file on the hard drive. You can configure limits on the length of clips by going to camera settings > Record and adjusting the "Combine or cut video each" setting. There are good reasons for keeping clip size under control, but 1-2 hours length is fine if that helps.

To play recordings a bit more seamlessly, try using the timeline along the bottom of the Blue Iris local console. Double click on the timeline to enter timeline playback mode. Then you can click or drag to reposition your point in time, or use the regular playback controls to play/pause, speed up, etc. Exit timeline playback mode by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the video area, or the clock on the far right side of the timeline.

Be aware that timeline playback of multiple cameras can be extremely resource-intensive, and you need to be careful to not max out your CPU because if you do it will cause problems with new recordings. It is especially likely to be a problem if you have enabled sub streams or "Limit decoding" options for your cameras, or if you normally run your system near or above 50% CPU load.