New Blue Iris PC

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a NEW Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower Workstation i7-8700 3.2GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD for my Home Blue Iris. It came with Just one 512 GB M.2 solid-state drive. I have added am WD 10TB 3.5 HDD According to the P330 manual I can add one more 2.5 or 3.5 HDD and I was wondering if it is a better idea to add a 2.5 SSD for the Blue Iris software or should I just install the Blue Irish on the same M.2 drive that OS windows is on?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Same drive will be fine, I’d save the extra space/slot for another storage drive should you ever need it.

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased it from ebay, New with 3 years in home warranty from Lenovo. I am planning to us Intel on board video. It has 2 displays port's. With it be better to use a dedicated Nvidia video card?

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would say your good. Anyone else think differently? Server Supply dot com is another good place to check out for those in my boat looking at machines to run BI.

Reaction score
I am planning to us Intel on board video. It has 2 displays port's. With it be better to use a dedicated Nvidia video card?
Definitely use the onboard video. Unless you are approaching CPU limits the dedicated video cards will just burn more power for a slight bump in capacity. It's not a good trade-off for a typical Blue Iris setup.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You've already got one SSD in there, why would you want another one?
Windows aint doing anything active there besides maybe update scanning, BI does almost no IO with the database.
Use the extra slot for another storage drive.

Do you need many display ports (are you planning on displaying live output from the cameras)?
You might not even need hardware acceleration (though it helps, if you can run it without issues).
You also haven't specified how many cameras or megapixels per second you would be running.

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score
You've already got one SSD in there, why would you want another one?
Windows aint doing anything active there besides maybe update scanning, BI does almost no IO with the database.
Use the extra slot for another storage drive.

Do you need many display ports (are you planning on displaying live output from the cameras)?
You might not even need hardware acceleration (though it helps, if you can run it without issues).
You also haven't specified how many cameras or megapixels per second you would be running.
I want to buy 8 good quality cameras.