New build recommendations/ideas

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am a long time BI user that hasn't done much customization but since the current PC is flaking out I built a new Franken-box with 64G RAM, an Intel 14th Gen processor (28 cpus) 1x1TB and 1x4TB M.2 SSD's and a Gigabyte 3060 video card, and thought I might explore AI. Yes, I know the hardware is way overkill but I want it to last a while and I will probably multi-purpose the box. Large/long term storage is not a problem as I have a spare 12TB SATA drive in the "old BI box" as well as a ridiculous amount of NAS storage. I have 18 various vendors indoor and outdoor POE cameras from 2-4MP each, recording at default frame rates.

Since it is pretty beefy, I'm going to start this new build using Ubuntu Server with QEMU/Libvirt virtualization so I can leverage left over cycles and memory for other VM's. For the record I am a recovering Unix sysadmin (+40 years) and I really did put in a lot of effort into running some of the linux flavors of NVR/camera management (Shinobi, Zoneminder, BlueCherry, etc.) but it all comes down to this: BI is easier to configure, easier to use, more mature, more robust, has a great UI, and has better support. While I stumbled through and constantly tinkered with and googled for solutions to linux NVR problems that don't exist in BI, and I crashed and rebuilt the linux variants, the BI 5 Windows box kept running (BI is my only Windows instance in the house).

So I just laid down a fresh Windows 10 VM and thought I would ask this forum a few questions before I get in too deep.

First, my biggest recording issue has always been trees and shadows. I have no problem recording cars, people, and critters, but default motion sensing was always triggered by trees and shadows since I never really tuned well.

I do use dual streams for all cameras and since I have a lot of storage I was considering using continuous recording and just forgoing motion detection. What would be the downside to that?

Second, now that I have a pretty robust video card I was also considering AI to help with the shadows. I am still reading all the posts I can find on Deepstack and CodeProject but everyone seems to have a different opinion of each and I really haven't found two articles that agree with each other yet.

Given that I have all this hardware do I really need to immerse myself in AI?

If I don't need AI, do I need the graphics card at all (there is on-board Intel graphics)?

Hope you enjoyed the read and please do post your ideas on how you would move forward with this scenario. Thanks very much.