New cam excitement!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Have some new cams headed my way to replace 3 2431-S-S2s that I've had up for 3 years.

The old cams have served me well but they're 4MP on 1/3" sensors which are far less than ideal.

I have a couple used HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 from @tedrpi on the way.

Been checking Andy's refurb list daily for a Color 4K/X to appear and today it did! I bought a used 5441/BoobieCam off of Andy last year and have had zero issues so scoring this cam at a reduced price is very exciting.

They'll be replacing the cams on one side of my house. This side has been a bit neglected as I've upgraded so having much better cams and the phenomenal microphone on the 4K/X will be a huge improvement!

Just have to wait another week and a bit for someone to being them down to the island.

It will be worth the wait!

Last edited:

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I was a Hikvision guy (including their NVRs), but with the move to Blue Iris coming in the next few weeks, I'm thinking about doing some Dahua stuff. The 2431 was recommended to me, but I'm hesitant, as it is an older model that EOL has apparently been announced for. I need to learn more about some of the newer models with larger sensors.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I was a Hikvision guy (including their NVRs), but with the move to Blue Iris coming in the next few weeks, I'm thinking about doing some Dahua stuff. The 2431 was recommended to me, but I'm hesitant, as it is an older model that EOL has apparently been announced for. I need to learn more about some of the newer models with larger sensors.
Definitely go larger than 1/3" on a 4MP. Learned that AFTER buying my system and then finding this forum. They're decent cams if you have lots of light but always better to spend a bit more and get much better quality.

We'll be going from 1/3" to 1/1.8" sensors @ 4MP which will be a big difference. Also, the 2431s don't have as many AI options and I like to have face detection on during the day. Not to mention that I won't have to filter through all the stray animals crossing my IVS tripwires all night.

Look into the 5442 which now has the S3 version available. Lots of posts on the forum about them and the photos/videos off of them look great.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really appreciate your taking the time to post this.

No question, big sensors capture more photos. Just like trying to produce decent bass from small speaker cones, you can't cheat the laws of physics.

Will look into the 5442. The 4K-X seems really interesting as well. The 4K-X seems interesting. What is the actual model number on it?

Unrelated, I just picked up a Ubiquiti G5 Pro. I realize that Ubiquiti protect is a proprietary system. That said, I love their network hardware.

I'm still committed to transitioning to Blue Iris. But made sense to add a Ubi cam or two in a completely separate system for redundancy. The picture quality is phenomenal. Much better than my 4K Hiks. AI seems pretty spot on with detections as well.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I really appreciate your taking the time to post this.

No question, big sensors capture more photos. Just like trying to produce decent bass from small speaker cones, you can't cheat the laws of physics.

Will look into the 5442. The 4K-X seems really interesting as well. The 4K-X seems interesting. What is the actual model number on it?

Unrelated, I just picked up a Ubiquiti G5 Pro. I realize that Ubiquiti protect is a proprietary system. That said, I love their network hardware.

I'm still committed to transitioning to Blue Iris. But made sense to add a Ubi cam or two in a completely separate system for redundancy. The picture quality is phenomenal. Much better than my 4K Hiks. AI seems pretty spot on with detections as well.
The actual model number for the 4K/X (and variants) is DH-IP-HFW5849*** (*** depending on variant (turret, 180, etc)).

Excellent cams but don't have IR nor varifocal capabilities. But if you have the light, definitely look into them.

Many prefer the turret form factor but personally, I go for the bullet as it has a better microphone and, say some, a better picture.

On a quiet night, I can hear someone sweeping the street 40m away and pick up conversations at 20m.

I use it as an overview cam and it does a phenomenal job. Picking up clothing details and then letting other cams get facial details has really worked well for a couple of incidents on my block.

Takes a bit of tweaking to get everything set but a worthwhile investment in time.

I'm planning on going to a PC-based VMS as I move away from my NVR. Will install Windows and try BI but will also investigate Frigate and other open-source options as I have been using a Linux desktop for over 20 years. Just not a Windows person.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tons of light (literally, stadium lights designed to light up a tennis court, wired to a high quality RAB motion sensor). I hate IR, as it attracts bugs.

I like turrets for many reasons, including the fact that they are harder for vandals to damage. While few cameras are vandal proof, a turret is much less susceptible to damage or getting knocked offline. That said, I due like the idea of clear audio.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5449s arrived at a friend's place in Texas on Friday. Everything well packaged and intact. Thanks, @tedrpi for having so much patience with the payment! My friend had a bit of a struggle with Cashapp but we got it done.

Color4K/X is due to be delivered in the next couple days. All cams will be arriving in Cuba a few days after that. I'm lucky to have such great friends willing to "mule" this stuff down to me.

Probably headed to Mexico in March so I'll pick up a couple more cams to replace the rest of the 2431s I have up. Been decent cams but the small sensor doesn't cut it.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have tons of light (literally, stadium lights designed to light up a tennis court, wired to a high quality RAB motion sensor). I hate IR, as it attracts bugs.

I like turrets for many reasons, including the fact that they are harder for vandals to damage. While few cameras are vandal proof, a turret is much less susceptible to damage or getting knocked offline. That said, I due like the idea of clear audio.
These will be my first turrets. I'm not too worried about them being damaged as they're mounted about 6m (20') off the ground. Can't mount them lower as I live on the second floor (first floor for Europeans) and each floor is 5m high. But we make it work and have provided video that has resulted in several arrests.