New Camera Shopping

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
So I have been reviewing threads and videos both on here and YouTube trying to find a good camera. I currently have my eyes on an IPC-HFW5422T-ASE that I found on Amazon.
I wanted to add cameras to my network that provided decent night footage and did not have issues with resolution when zooming. I live on at the end of a dead end street, so I do not have to worry too much about cars going over 20 mph. I was wanting a camera to assist in identifying anyone walking across my property or in the road as well as getting a good video/photo of a vehicle and license plate of someone coming up the road.
I guess I’m a little confused as to why I have read on some posts that a 4mp camera would be better than any of the 4K cameras. Please keep in mind that the only cameras I currently own are Lorex E891ABs and Amcrest IP8M-2499, so I really don’t have a good point of reference.
I’m assuming that the listing below is from the same reputable vendor I have seen on this site’s threads? Can someone advise if this is a good deal and if there are any issues with security or firmware on said camera? Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This camera does not have a zoom function.
You have to look at the sensor sizes as well, not just how many megapixels has a camera. The lower the number, that means that the sensor is bigger(captures more light= better). Now the 1/1.8" is the best for the money. The other ones, the 4k and all those higher megapixels use most likely use 2.8 or 2.7" size sensors, which are smaller in size.
Also 2.8mm gives you a wide view, 3.6 is a middle ground and a 6mm is a narrow view.
We have a wiki page, up top, where you can learn about this things.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats probably the #1 or #2 best low light camera for under $500 currently. I have two of them watching my driveway.
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet
As @tibimakai mentions, that is a fixed lens camera, so getting the right lens for the focus point you want is important. Mine happen to be 3.6mm and do what I need watching over our vehicles.

That said, they DO need some light as they have no onboard IR.

If you are in a very dark scene look at the brother to that camera that has built-in IR:
IPC-HFW5442E-ZE

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thats probably the #1 or #2 best low light camera for under $500 currently. I have two of them watching my driveway.
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet
As @tibimakai mentions, that is a fixed lens camera, so getting the right lens for the focus pint you want is important. Mine hapen to be 3.6mm and do what I need watching over our vehicles.

That said, they DO need some light as they have no onboard IR.

If you are in a very dark scene look at the brother to that camera that has built-in IR:
IPC-HFW5442E-ZE
Great, thank you much for the recommendations; I will definitely review. I think anything at this point would be an improvement over the E891AB cameras I currently own. According to the spec sheet from Lorex, those are fixed lenses as well. However, I don’t want to just throw money down the drain. I think I first noticed that camera in what appears to be your YouTube page, and the picture quality at night appeared to be great. However, I will view the other cameras you mentioned. Thank you!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's what you need :)

In all seriousness though the 5442 series on the 1.1/8" is excellent for value and performance.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's what you need :)

In all seriousness though the 5442 series on the 1.1/8" is excellent for value and performance.
Good gosh; was that designed for the Hubble telescope?? :lmao:
Thank you, I will definitely be reviewing the 5442 cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A quick copy and paste for you -

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

Reaction score
I guess I’m a little confused as to why I have read on some posts that a 4mp camera would be better than any of the 4K cameras.
It is not that a 4MP cam is 'better' than an 8K cam per se. Low light performance is based on how much light gets to each pixel. So if a cam has a 1/1.8" sensor (0.555 inches), each pixel would get much more light to it if there were only 4MP spread across it than 8MP from a 4K cam. Of course other things are at play here, like shutter speed, aperture setting, and the lens used. But most 4K cams in the prosumer lines are on 1/2.8" (0.357 inches) or smaller sensors. So that 4K cam on one of those sensors will get even less light per pixel than the 4MP on 1/1.8" sensor.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is not that a 4MP cam is 'better' than an 8K cam per se. Low light performance is based on how much light gets to each pixel. So if a cam has a 1/1.8" sensor (0.555 inches), each pixel would get much more light to it if there were only 4MP spread across it than 8MP from a 4K cam. Of course other things are at play here, like shutter speed, aperture setting, and the lens used. But most 4K cams in the prosumer lines are on 1/2.8" (0.357 inches) or smaller sensors. So that 4K cam on one of those sensors will get even less light per pixel than the 4MP on 1/1.8" sensor.
Ahhh, now that makes sense. I’ve got to say that during the day, my little cameras are pretty decent even when zoomed in. The noticeable issue is at night time. Your explanation makes perfect sense and brings things into focus (yep a pathetic attempt at a pun; please forgive me).