New cctv questions?

Reaction score
I just purchased some Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8MP ColorVu Network Turret Camera With Live Guard 2.8mm. I have a 7716 m4 nvr on order and 2 6tb Skyhawk drives. I questioned if AI or purple pro would be better but the seller said standard Skyhawk are fine.

I will probably go up to 8-10 8mp cameras. Will standard Skyhawk drives be adequate, or should I be looking at the AI or WD purple pro models? I haven't collected the drives yet so can probably change my mind.

The cameras will be used in a small retail environment. The seller said color vue probably wasn't needed and may cause glare? They said they are mainly for outdoors. If there are any issues I plan to add more cameras later so can move them around. Are colour vue not recommended for indoors? I plan to mount 3 cameras in a room that is 9mx4.5m and one camera in a room about 3mx3m.

Also does anyone have any tips in installing the cameras to a 600x600 false tile ceiling with a hanging metal grid? The cameras are heavier than I anticipated. I was going to get some mdf backing board unless there are better methods?

Thanks in advance.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends on how much ambient light there is when lights are off. I’d just put some IRs in and call it a day. As far as your mounting just use a self tapper into the metal.

Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you have any thoughts about the drives?

Another question is will I need cat6 cable, or will cat 5e be sufficient?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cat 5e is fine. I’ll catch some flack for saying any drives will work but numbers and time don’t lie. You’ll be told wd purple or anything designed for nas/cctv though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's T-bar between the tiles, right ? if so have a look at the UniFi Professional Mounting System

It's about 8" in diameter and mounts to the T-bar. I haven't used but the price is reasonable AND it can be mounted/un-mounted quickly. It includes the flange and 2 T-bar spin-clips. In the install guide below, skip over the UniFi radio part to the actual T-bar stuff beginning on page 12 of the guide.

Installation Guide

UniFi_T-bar_mount.jpg

You could also watch this YT video at bottom beginning at the 2:00 min. mark to where they are using the T-bar mounts (the first 2 minutes is about mounting on the center of a tile).

Instead of putting the 2 clips at 3" spacing for their included UniFi radio bracket, you could pick 2 places on your junction box or cam that the clips could be spaced at. It appears shaky before the tiles are dropped back in but maybe it's OK for a turret cam.

If you purchase from amazon and you don't like or it doesn't work you could return. :headbang:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If too expensive or won't suit your needed diameter, then consider these, for T-bar, mount cam's junction box to them.

This one is cheap, you drop in a 'carriage' bolt of desired length and they're at Home Depot.

T-bar_clip.jpg

This one is even less, also at HD. Comes with captive bolt and nylon cap nut.

T-bar_clip2.jpg

EDIT: 1/30/23 @ 1554 CT: NOTE: regardless of which method you use (T-bar clips or MDF board above tile), I'd be sure to mount cam near where the support wire(s) from the ceiling is tied to the top-side of the T-bar; maybe even add an additional wire here and there if the cam is so heavy it causes a sag in the T-bar.....no body wants a suspended ceiling to become UN-suspended! :cool:

Last edited: