New Construction home, pre wiring, and PoE suggestions for a newbie

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently having a new construction home built. I just ordered 1000ft of monoprice STP CMR Cat6 for my home for the sole purpose of getting ready for a camera system (my first). I already know how to properly wire my home with Cat6. I'm planning to run this Cat6 from my "tech room" (note, I AM a tech newbie) to 6 different cameras and also to 4 different TVs. This is my simple goal:

-4 exterior PoE 3mp cameras
-2 exterior (used indoor) PoE 3mp cameras (optional: with listen-in audio)
-ability to view from 4 different TVs (optional: control via remote IR)
-ability to view Camera's remotely via web access or smart phone
-email notification for events

This SEEMS simple enough. I've reviewed a few camera systems (swann, lorex) that got mixed reviews. What I DONT have a handle on is WHAT system to go with. I don't want/or need anything with overly complicated setup. I really want to just plug in the cameras to the NVR, NVR into my router, and be GTG with minimal complicated steps. I enjoy wiring and installation, I do NOT enjoy computer part.

Please, give me guidance.

-BL

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the Dahua thread.
Don't fall for the megapixel game. 2mp cams will have better nightvision.
Buy the same brand of cams and NVR.
Lots of info in the Dahua thread.
Wire is cheap, run to more cam locations now if you have any doubt you may add more cams down the line.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and insight. Would you classify Dahua as "plug 'n play?" Buy an NVR, HD, PoE cameras and its pretty much ready to go?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Get turrets for outside and domes for inside or if it was me again all turrets ( i like the Dahua with built in mic XinRay Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling mounting brackets for cars,brackets steel,mount tv bracket and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group , solid copper wire no CCA, may consider running a power plug in top of a closet then a HDMI and mouse back to your office so hard to find if broken into, or at least a back up storage hidden elsewhere (NAS). Nice to run a wifi hub wire too upstairs running off POE may as well

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and insight. Would you classify Dahua as "plug 'n play?" Buy an NVR, HD, PoE cameras and its pretty much ready to go?
Nothing is simply plug and play. But if you purchase Dahua cams and a Dahua NVR, this simplifies matters greatly.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nothing is simply plug and play. But if you purchase Dahua cams and a Dahua NVR, this simplifies matters greatly.
Perhaps I should clarify better. I already have Cat6 and monitors. Is there anything I need to purchase other than:

1) Dahua NVR
2) Hard Drive
3) Cameras

From there, I can setup everything using my monitor and the hard drive? Do Dahua NVR's come pre-loaded with the necessary software?

Thanks.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Get turrets for outside and domes for inside or if it was me again all turrets ( i like the Dahua with built in mic XinRay Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling mounting brackets for cars,brackets steel,mount tv bracket and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group , solid copper wire no CCA, may consider running a power plug in top of a closet then a HDMI and mouse back to your office so hard to find if broken into, or at least a back up storage hidden elsewhere (NAS). Nice to run a wifi hub wire too upstairs running off POE may as well
I planned on putting the NVR in my "tech" room (which will be secure) but hiding it somewhere like that is a good idea. Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with external PoE its much easier to hide your NVR cause you dont need to run a dozen or more wires to it..

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just get the NVR branded to same as cameras you will be fine either Dahua or Hikvision, just need a hard drive after that if the POE is built into NVR but some prefer a POE switch and a non POE NVR. Always get the latest NVR and make sure its upgradable usually white box, the cameras won't need upgrading but NVR always good to keep up to date.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps I should clarify better. I already have Cat6 and monitors. Is there anything I need to purchase other than:

1) Dahua NVR
2) Hard Drive
3) Cameras

From there, I can setup everything using my monitor and the hard drive? Do Dahua NVR's come pre-loaded with the necessary software?

Thanks.
Yes, it includes needed software. Yes on the setup.

Ron516516

n3wb
Reaction score
How is the reliability and the long Jevity of that camera most of my equipment last in excess of two years can I expect the same from this product