New guy here. Hopefully this isn't a common/rehashed question

B00mstlck

n3wb
Reaction score
Wasn't sure what subforum to use but here goes.

Im a complete newb to security and surveillance systems. With anything it seems the best option is to roll your own with combination of a prepacked DVR system and augment it with speciality items. Need day surveillance but mostly night bacause thats when things have been happening. Going to add some good IR zoomed cams with supplemental IR floods pointing towards the trouble spots.

My question is this: probably going to have 5-6 cameras. I've seen onscreen monitoring of multiple cams (like the ones at costco) and its one screen equally split into however many cams are running. When you replay a DVR recoring of an event, does the system record a full screen for each camera or are you limited to viewing all of them in that split screen? For instance can you isolate one cameras view into full screen to zoom in and capture detailed stills?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The split is at display level only. All cameras record individually at whatever resolution and frame rate has been set. On playback, you can always go full-screen. Whether zooming in produces any additional usable detail is determined by numerous factors.

Cheers, Steve

B00mstlck

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so an NVR is just a box that digitally records what all the cameras see over a period of time?

Can you manage the cameras and playback from the NVR with a monitor/keyboard/mouse or do you need an additional pc workstation to access the NVR?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so an NVR is just a box that digitally records what all the cameras see over a period of time?

Can you manage the cameras and playback from the NVR with a monitor/keyboard/mouse or do you need an additional pc workstation to access the NVR?
You can do 98% of what you need from within the NVR.