New Home Automation Setup

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I wish to setup a new automation setup, probably on Pi3 bcoz its easier to keep it powered on than a full Computer. I have 4 IP cameras already running, few sonoff switches and recently ordered a small xiaomi kit with hub and sensors.
I am not clear yet which software I should use as I m new to automation side but have good experience on computers. wondering if I should order NVR for recordings or software setup will do the job.
My expectation is to get help from forums to do the setup. Any advise and suggestions on overall setup? And what items should I order to start setup, specially the Pi model.
Thanking you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're most likely looking at OpenHab, Home Assistant, or Domoticz for your home automation software. You should research the differences and take them for a spin.
You'll probably be happier recording your cameras onto a dedicated pc with the software of your choice than an nvr.

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes one of this software. Thinking of openhab to try on Windows machine first, just to get a know-how. Though not sure if xiaomi sensors will work better with openhab or HA

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll probably be happier recording your cameras onto a dedicated pc with the software of your choice than an nvr.
x2 on this. When Blue Iris has an alert (like motion detected), it’s super easy to send a http (or mqtt) notification to most home automation hubs, and easy to include info like which camera.

Most NVRs that support alarms are the more expensive models and usually only signal over wires and usually can’t include other info like which camera.

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for expert info.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
+1. For Home Assistant and OpenHAB. Just this week I experimented with both. So far Home Assistant is winning just because it has integrations for more of the things I have. Make a list of your equipment you want automated and compare the features of the software. If you have multiple SD cards its easy to swap between the two systems for experimentation. Be aware that Home Assistant is $5/month if you want the Alexa integration. A small price in my mind for the ease of setting it up.

+1,000 for running a dedicated PC for cameras. You’ll find that Blue Iris is an amazing piece of software for such a low price.

Reaction score
Here's another whole-hearted vote for Home Assistant. I used an RPi 3 for the first year, and recently upgraded to an Intel Core i3 NUC, mainly because I encountered two different SD card corruptions due to intermittent/recurrent power fails at home. The benefits of using the NUC (and even a Celeron- or Pentium-powered NUC is MORE than adequate) are no worries about disk corruption and quicker response times as you add more devices and automations. The faster response was especially noticeable when using the smartPhone app to monitor things away from home.

The benefits of the RPi 3 are that it's inexpensive, it's a great starter platform while you're learning, it draws so little power, and it takes up so little space. The NUC does pretty well at taking up very little space, but does draw more power. I believe it's worth it, for the peace of mind.

The other great thing I like about the NUC is, they're relatively inexpensive used on eBay.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.