New install - analog system

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found out that someone in my company engaged our security vendor to install a system at one of our locations. Looks like they are putting in an analog system instead of an IP system.

I know nothing about analog systems. Are there benefits to an analog system? I'm trying to determine if I should push back on the hardware. Here's what I know has been approved ($5000 installed).

Qty 1
DS-7208HGHI-SH-4TB
Tribrid DVR, 8 Channel TurboHD/Analog, Auto-Detect,, H.264, 720p Real-time/1080p15 + 2-1080p IP Cameras, HDMI, Alarm I/O, No Front Panel Control, with 4TB

Qty 5
DS-2CE56D5T-AVFIR
Indoor IR Dome, HD1080p, 2.8-12mm, 30m IR Day/Night, True WDR, Smart IR, UTC Menu, 24VAC/12VDC

Qty 1
ALTV248UL
8 Output CCTV Power Supply - 24VAC @ 3.5 amp or 28VAC @ 3 amp, fused outputs, encl. 8.5INH x 7.5INW x 3.5IND, 115VAC input, UL Listed (UL2044), cUL Listed & CE Approved

QTY 1
UM.CV6AA.001
Acer V196WL 19IN LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 5 ms, Adjustable Display Angle - 1440 x 900 - 16.7 Million Colors - 250 Nit - 100,000,000:1 - VGA - Black - TCO FT06, EPEAT Gold

Regarding the price: yes, I know we can put in an IP system for only $1,000 if we do it ourselves, but this has to be outsourced to a third party, likely our security company, so I'm stuck with excessive markup. It's not my project so I don't have as much sway on this installation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
analouge is very low latency; thats a benifit.. is there already analouge wiring in place? if not then its pretty stupid to pay for analouge wires to be ran today when you could have ethernet ran instead and know it'll be usefull for the next 20 years or more.. whereas the analouge wiring stoped being usefull a decade back.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if there is coax cable in place already, for that price they should be running new cable and installing darkfighter cameras and a 4K monitor, not some piece of crap that can't even display one "analog" camera in full resolution.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the above hardware I have to believe this was selected because analog cables are already in place.

The pricing would appear to be on par for the hardware quoted. Your security company prob. has around $900 - $1000 in camera hardware, $50ish in the physical PS hardware, $400 - $500 in the DVR, and roughly $100ish in the monitor, then add a few hundred in randomness from parts, mounting gear, zip ties, connectors etc, so they have a physical cost of $1,800ish call it in just hardware. Now this is assuming they are utilizing analog coax cable already in place becuase as Nayr said, if this includes pulling analog cable - that's silly - get an IP system quote.

However, when you take into account employees, overhead of the company (vehicles, pay, insurance, etc), as well as any type of support that is included with this system that $5,000 budget appears to be fair - again, I am sure an IP system could be had for a little more if not close to the same cost, unless cables need to be pulled.

I would get a little better understanding of the SOW (scope of work) that was put out to bid before assuming this is a bad deal.

Example of Possible Cost Breakdown.
Hardware: $ 1,800
2 employees at $20 an hour for 8 hours (not sure of the amount of work involved or type of building your in, so this is a guess): $320
Two Vehicles to get to job for the day (fuel $25, insurance $20, etc): $50
Employee Taxes, insurance, unemployment dues, 401k, etc: $50 AVG for employee per day worked

Other unknown costs of running a Security Company
Building that company operates out of
Employees that support the products installed (tech support, warranty support, call center monitoring possibly)
Does this company self monitor alarm systems, fire systems? If so yearly UL/ULC certification and licensing.

As you can see so much goes into a "true cost". Its always simple for a DIY'r to say "I could do that for half that or a quarter of that. However, that DIY'r doesn't account for or have any skin in the game, none of the above.

Then remember after all that is said and done, this company isn't a .org - they are a for profit company and they need to put something in the bank so expect to see a profit margin after cos of 35% - 55%.

Last edited: