New Install - Recorded video looks like sub feed quality?

Nerkalis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I just reinstalled BI after changing hardware. Started using direct to disc with BI DVR BVR file format and now when watching playback of video, its like watching the sub channel. The cameras all look great when using main feed, have all set to 15 fps on cams and in BI camera settings. Using "Intel R" hardware decode (this is new to as updated to 6th gen i5 intel). So direct-to-disc, BVR, intel accelerated. And I am RDP to host,, and video during rdp is unrestricted. New box is saving to ssd drive like old for "New" folder, so that is same and worked before. Cams set to continuous + trigger. All cams hik and dahau cams w mix bag of h265 and h264 set at cam to h265 if possible. All cams have main and sub, all set to use and seen.

I know I missed something simple, and been through the wiki so many times its all looks good on box and in cams. The recorded video just look like the stream, or is saving at reduced quality, and I cannot seem to see the knob that need turning to fix. Suggestions?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My suggestion is to shut off any hardware acceleration and use sub streams instead. With the current versions of BI, later than5.4.x.x or so, hardware acceleration actually adds to CU utilization a little rather than saving anything. In the recording tab I'd select "continuous and triggered". That will record the sub stream, lower resolution to save space and CPU utilization, until motion is seen then switch to main stream, full resolution, for the duration of the event. I use a pre-trigger time of five seconds and a post trigger time of five seconds.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you opened a recorded file to confirm the quality of the recording - independently from BI? Watch it via another media player.

Nerkalis

n3wb
Reaction score
sebastiantombs - I have disabled Intel R hardware acceleration and and restarted. And looks like you nailed it - In the recording tab I'd select "continuous and triggered". That will record the sub stream, lower resolution to save space and CPU utilization, until motion is seen then switch to main stream, full resolution, for the duration of the event. I use a pre-trigger time of five seconds and a post trigger time of five seconds.
The cont + trig was recording the substream and the without all the zones set with triggers, its just substream... Previously I had cloned cams, one for continous and one for triggered. Reason is outdoor cams looking at landscape which moves and has sahdes so pixels changes quick and often. The higher resolution continoues saved video allows for confirmation of critters in gardens and triggers give stamps of time and alarm. I havent perfected triggers yet and will be working to get them cleaner so I can send emails and sms for more than just door bell car in driverway sooner than later.

The Automation Guy - EXCELLENT suggestion. I will remember this troubleshooting in the future.

Thank you both.

Please close the thread.

Nerkalis

n3wb
Reaction score
sebastiantombs - I have disabled Intel R hardware acceleration and restarted. And looks like you nailed it - In the recording tab I'd select "continuous and triggered". That will record the sub stream, lower resolution to save space and CPU utilization, until motion is seen then switch to main stream, full resolution, for the duration of the event. I use a pre-trigger time of five seconds and a post trigger time of five seconds.
The cont + trig was recording the substream and the without all the zones set with triggers, it’s just substream... Previously I had cloned cams, one for continuous and one for triggered. Reason is outdoor cams looking at landscape which moves and has shades so pixels changes quick and often. The higher resolution continuous saved video allows for confirmation of critters in gardens and triggers give stamps of time and alarm. I haven’t perfected triggers yet and will be working to get them cleaner so I can send emails and sms for more than just doorbell car in driveway sooner than later.

The Automation Guy - EXCELLENT suggestion. I will remember this troubleshooting in the future.

Thank you both.

Please close the thread. [and delete my previously hilarious proof spell check was not used in response.]