New installation complete - program nvr

Pfaiazza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello !
I posted a while back looking for info on equipment to buy for a new home security system

I ended up getting 6 cameras from empire tech that are 4MP and variable focus + an nvr from empire tech

I now just did all my cat 6 ends and tested and everything fires up right away which was great

but now I’m trying to figure how to connect it to the internet ? It’s plugged in but apparently isn’t on my network , and I want to be able to see the cameras on my phone . And set up what ever else is required !
If there are any guides or if anyone is willing to help it would be appreciated !
Thanks

Attachments

Revo2Maxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First thing I see is that your driveway/garage camera might need to be adjusted little more to the right. I say the right as long as the picture is displayed correctly that is.. Not sure the cameras you are using but 2 things will/could happen at night, first the Garage light if on full time might wash out your cameras ability to see past the built out part of the house. Second because the camera is facing a lot of the house there might be wash out from the cameras IR or white lights that would hit the building and return to the image sensor. So I would turn that camera out a little more then where it is currently facing..

About the NVR having access to the Internet, Not sure how they offer or if ET offers P2P. Many people will say that it isn't secure and not to use it. I do on my systems and have never had an issue. For my systems that I use there are 2 things that is required for someone to even try to access and that is the SN of the device without it they can't even try to attack it. Second is the Password.. So if ET didn't offer any way to access the device the next thing I personally would do so you are not exposing your system to the Internet is use a Service like NGROK. With that you would setup a computer to be your access point to your NVR.. Then you can access a URL to gain access to your NVR from the outside.. In your NVR there is also most times under your setup and network a DDNS where you can setup a service like NO IP or DynDNS where you would setup a service to act like NGROK does and give you a tunnel access to your NVR using a URL. Some will update your URL for you if you don't have a Static IP for your ISP service. Others you will have to update that when your IP changes. Personally NGROK is the way to go if you don't have P2P..

Last and I wouldn't do it ever to be safe.. That is use UPNP or Port Forwarding.. When I have used this type of connection it only takes 2 days or less for some one from another country to spend hours and days trying to crack my password to gain access. i know of these attacks because I setup a service to detect them and also the NVRs most times will detect illegal password attempts. I will admit all my Hikvision systems OEM or normal detect every wrong try where my Amcrest or Dahua devices only alert after 3 or 5 attempts and some attackers will do it using software where they try every 30 min so that method never triggers a warning.. Never forward or expose a Telnet port or any other type port that one might gain access to the ROOT of your NVR...

One last thing that you can do if your system is setup for it and you own your own Email server is setup your NVR to send email alerts on Events. This one you will not have access from remote but you can have alerts sent to your email where you can get images of what is going on. I personally wouldn't setup this on a Motion only cameras unless it is in an area that don't get any false alerts. I mean most of my AI cameras that I setup for Human or Vehicle detection I get about 97% valid alerts. Every once in a while I can get a cat or dog that is detected as a human, i can fix that with little tweaking of the settings but I leave it where it is and just delete the false alert emails.. Most email services today don't seem to want to work well so a few years ago I just got my own email service and now I get all emails if I so wish to setup. P2P is faster alerts then Email. However some say P2P is bad I have used it for years with 0 issues and I have more then the normal user..

Pfaiazza

n3wb
Reaction score
I did actually get it all working ! So I have it on my phone now which is great ! Now I just need to figure out how to like focus the cameras to get the best picture , maybe aim them a bit better like suggested , and figure out how to set up trigger alarms !

Revo2Maxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't have every device but there are some that are easier to setup then others.. Some people love Hikvision but to be honest out of all my devices they are the hardest to understand and get working.. If your device is of Dahua flavor that is really easy and normally setup. This is going to be If your NVR is Dahua based setup. Sometimes depending on the device might have to Enable them others most important is to turn off Full time recording in the Main Menu, Storage and Schedule, Click on all channels, and all days and setup for motion, alarm and IVS if your system supports it, then at the top of that same menu should be snap shots, Again all channels, all days and turn off full time record of snapshots. Setup for Motion, alarm and IVS if you have such.. Next if you wanted to full time record a camera or 2 or a few personally to save on room I would setup to record on the Sub Channel and leave all the main to the Events.. You still would turn off the Full time recording on all channels, then in the Main menu, Storage, Record or Record menu depending on FW type. there you would want to 1 make sure that Snapshot is On, 2 setup all Sub channels that you want to record full time to Manual. and leave all others off. So say you wanted to record 1, 4 and 8 channel, then on them move the dot to reflect Manual. Now to playback that sub channel then you go to search pick the channels you want to watch, If say 4 didn't record any events but know that something or someone went by at 4pm click on ch4 and on far right click the M it iwll change to S you could click that area on the time line that would go from empty to all green and it would playback on reduced stream the footage of that time..

Now with an NVR when you setup your NVR to record motion it will turn on motion on the camera and enable that as well. In some cameras there is option for how many snapshots you want on an event, this would have to be setup in the camera yet the NVR will record 1 normally. There are some NVRs that have the option for 1, 3, 5 like most of my cameras do.. In the Menu go to event and if you are setting up a NVR with motion and or alarm only events then click on Motion and if not enabled for some reason, enable it, then click on the Region and setup the grid of where you want to record. I seen a Video of someone saying that the Boxes where going to be where it won't record motion this isn't the case, The Grid is where it will and the empty area it will not detect motion in that area.. So on your Garage I would remove the grid that is on the side of the house and wall area so lights that might be out of view but hit your house won't detect that as motion to record.. Alarms you want to setup as well, This will record if there is an Audio alarm in your camera if camera has Mic installed and other things that you might setup in the alarm area.

Next if you have a Ai type NVR with built in channels with Ai then you can setup the NVR to record on 2 or 4 channels what ever it comes with on cameras that are not Ai, However if your NVR is setup for Ai but require Ai cameras then in the NVR it would only be 1 thing to worry about If built in channels and you lets say don't have an Ai camera on the Garage you could setup tripwire or Intrusion for that camera. If you have a Semi Ai camera but tried of all the false alerts like bugs or cats or dogs tripping them and your NVR supports the built in Ai then when you setup there will be an area that you pick you want the NVR to do the Ai if not supported then when you setup IVS pick the channel, Then pick + to add type With a good Ai camera it will offer things like Tripwire, Intrusion, Fast Moving, Parking Detection, Crowd Gathering , Loitering and there are some with many many more.. Main ones people use most is Intrusion and Tripwire. Once you pick the type then you will want to click on Draw, there you will make a Box or lines for your rules, Good Ai cameras will have Filtering type for Human and Vehicles. If you want both detected but want alerts for humans sent then make 2 lines of tripwire on 1 the filter would be human and the second would be Vehicle, On drawn and filter set click Apply. Then you will click Trigger in there you will tell it if you want it to record, if you want it to Push or pop up on your Sub Channel if offered, Or Tour but that is all a Chore of its own lol to setup right.. Anyway again if you want the email to be sent of Humans that cross the line then on that event trigger you would pick send email and when you get an email from that camera you know it is related to only humans. if you setup only 1 event line and pick both Filter type then you will get an email on both humans and vehicles..

Also important for event types using IVS under Main Menu Ai, Parameters you will want to click on Smart Plan and setup what type of AI you want. If you want IVS like listed above there if offered then you will want to click IVS AKA the light bulb, Alos if the camera offers heatmap then you would want to enable that as well.. Maybe you want Face Detection then in that you would want to setup Face Detection and not IVS. Just keep in mind that if offered it will be only task that your NVR will be able to do beside motion events..

If your camera offers SMD and that is what you want to use, Then forget all the IVS info and setup your Motion grid in your NVRs alarm motion area, Then click on Ai and SMD, then enable the camera to use SMD. Some systems are just on and off with filter of human and vehicles, and takes the info off the main motion area. Then others the look of the main motion page where when you enable you can choose to record, log set alarm, PTZ linkage tour, buzzer and so on.. Where others as I said it is purely enable with Filter type. Then when you want to play back go into playback aka search and choose the cameras you want normally I pick 1 and then you can click the Filter for Human or Vehicle and it will only playback the ones you are asking for. If play back full motion only it will playback everything from leaves, rain snow cats dogs wind. Some units will have under Ai a search area for SMD as well and you just pick the camera you want day and time and type from a drop down it will load each as it recorded and you can pick from list..

There is much more but being called away so I gotta go for now.. Hope something there was able to help you get your Events setup.. Again with Motion only just go to Alarm, Video Detection or Motion detection depending on FW, pick camera, pick grid , if you want to record and send emails if you setup for one.. Apply and it will start recording your events..

Last edited: