New member, here to learn

ss123

n3wb
Reaction score
So I finally joined after reading as much as I could on the forums for a couple of weeks. Haven't really had any issues at my house, so the camera system is more for piece of mind than anything else. I also look forward to being able to see who is at the front door when solicitors show up.

After all of the reading, I decided I wanted to go with Hikvision, so I started by just buying a 7608 NVR and 1 3MP 4mm bullet camera (from Nelly's). I figured I could use that camera with a long ethernet cable to hold it in different places to decide if I need different focal lengths, etc.

So far, I have the NVR (added a 3TB WD purple drive) setup with that camera and I got motion detection/email working and port forwarded to view from the ivms app. I am having a lot of fun learning and I know I will just learn more as I continue. I am still researching more cameras, but I have a 1000' spool of cat6 and connectors ready once I order some to start running cable.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I originally installed my surveillance system for the same reason as you, but found out very quickly of all I was missing around my area at night. So far I had three different incidents of car door checkers in my driveway, and I live in a cul-de-sac! So be warned, this can get scary. Anyway, you should have no problems getting all your questions answer here. There are plenty of helpful individuals with lots of experience and knowledge. Also, be ready to get hooked and buy buy buy and when you think you are good, then buy more more more. :D

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome, like you I have a lot to learn and there are a lot of helpful people here.

ss123

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I originally installed my surveillance system for the same reason as you, but found out very quickly of all I was missing around my area at night. So far I had three different incidents of car door checkers in my driveway, and I live in a cul-de-sac! So be warned, this can get scary. Anyway, you should have no problems getting all your questions answer here. There are plenty of helpful individuals with lots of experience and knowledge. Also, be ready to get hooked and buy buy buy and when you think you are good, then buy more more more. :D
Yeah, I was originally thinking small 4 camera system, so I am glad I read a lot first and changed my mind and went with the 8 channel NVR. Definitely seeing how this can get addicting real quick. I actually saw at least one of your videos, quite entertaining.

Just about ready to pull the trigger on some more cameras and then I can start installing them. The only one I am not sure of is that I want one looking at my mailbox, as someone in a neighborhood about a mile from me had a mailbox checker a week or so ago. From the position of the camera, it will be ~75-80 ft away to the rear, so it would capture license plates. Thinking of a 12mm on that one, will most likely just be 4mm for the perimeter/driveway cams and 2.8mm for the doors.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I was originally thinking small 4 camera system, so I am glad I read a lot first and changed my mind and went with the 8 channel NVR. Definitely seeing how this can get addicting real quick. I actually saw at least one of your videos, quite entertaining.

Just about ready to pull the trigger on some more cameras and then I can start installing them. The only one I am not sure of is that I want one looking at my mailbox, as someone in a neighborhood about a mile from me had a mailbox checker a week or so ago. From the position of the camera, it will be ~75-80 ft away to the rear, so it would capture license plates. Thinking of a 12mm on that one, will most likely just be 4mm for the perimeter/driveway cams and 2.8mm for the doors.
My DS-2CD2032-I with 12mm lens covers part of my mailbox and cul-de-sac, which are about 60 ft away. During the day I have no problems identifying anyone near, but vehicles license plates which usually come into frame about 100 ft are a bit more trickier to get. You will definitely have to try different exposure settings based on distance and speed of travel. Of course, this is during the day. At night is going to require a whole lot more work and probably different camera/software to identify license plates.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome. Nelly's are top guys.

I'm using a 6mm Dahua for licence plate recognition. But many use 12mm 2032s.

ss123

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely agree about Nelly's, Ryan has been very helpful to me so far.

Since I have the Hik NVR, my plan is to stay with all Hik cameras for ease of use. My problem is finding a us seller for a 12MM 2032 at all, let alone for a decent price. I decided I would just buy one on ebay from a Chinese seller ($80, grewat deal) and got an e-mail a day later that they were out of stock. Still no refund for it, will give them a day or two more to fix that. So not sure what to do at the moment for that, but I am about to pull the trigger on 3 4mm bullets and a mini 2.8mm dome for the front door.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone know of a us dealer with 12mm 2032s?

ss123

n3wb
Reaction score
After speaking with a US vendor, it seems that there might actually not be a 12mm OEM Hik 2032 for NA market, maybe at all. One vendor sells one (currently OOS), but they may swap the lens of a stock 4mm one out in house. In any case, I went ahead and checked with another Chinese vendor on ebay and they confirmed they had them in stock, so I just ordered one for $92. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111350469514

It will be the only non-US market camera I will have in my system.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ss123

n3wb
Reaction score
So my plans all got delayed, but I finally got my system up and running. Have three cameras working, but oddly my Hik NVR won't show preview screen when connected via IE on only 1 camera. Can get it to work fine through the NVR interface, though. Have to keep tinkering with it. Now I just need more time to mount the other 4 cameras I have!