New Nest doorbell

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got a advertisement from Google for the "new" Nest doorbell and was wondering if you guys had an opinion? I highly doubt it is Onvif compatible but correct me if I'm wrong. Here is the URL Nest Doorbell

It would be nice being able to talk to someone through the doorbell with my Google or Alexa speakers but I do like using blue Iris sometimes as well.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got the same Ad :)

4 colors to chose from...don't know much about it. Just had 2 people I know, one friend and one family member buy their battery DB. Family member said it looks like the batteries may last two months. Also he was hoping they had a Chime for it, like the Ring does.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see that you also use the Laview one Halo which is what I use currently. I see that this new doorbell through nest is definitely a downgrade as far as resolution. 960 x 1280 yuck!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see that you also use the Laview one Halo which is what I use currently. I see that this new doorbell through nest is definitely a downgrade as far as resolution. 960 x 1280 yuck!
Yeah, I did get to see the family members feed on his phone, it looked good. Still like BI and all we can do with ours. The Nest won't ever have these options...

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I did get to see the family members feed on his phone, it looked good. Still like BI and all we can do with ours. The Nest won't ever have these options...
I just wish there was a way to use the Laview with the Google home screen and communicate with people through it. It would be very handy in my situation.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to use the Laview with the Google home screen and communicate with people through it. It would be very handy in my situation.
Yeah only the Ezviz DB1 has Google access as well as Alexa...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently, the best doorbell camera is a TIO turret camera configured with Blue Iris. This way you are notified when someone is at the door through Blue Iris's reliable motion detection alerts. Virtually zero false alerts when configured correctly. Then you have the ability to initiate a conversation through the camera's in-built mic/speaker.
These days doorbell cameras are just another invitation to solicitors, kids/pranksters, and package handlers requiring an unnecessary signature for a $2 dollar item.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Currently, the best doorbell camera is a TIO turret camera configured with Blue Iris. This way you are notified when someone is at the door through Blue Iris's reliable motion detection alerts. Virtually zero false alerts when configured correctly. Then you have the ability to initiate a conversation through the camera's in-built mic/speaker.
These days doorbell cameras are just another invitation to solicitors, kids/pranksters, and package handlers requiring an unnecessary signature for a $2 dollar item.
This is why we like our Hikvision DBs, they have full access to BI, we have the older models with PIR but most of use BI with it's motion detection. I have mine recording 24/7. Same here with no false alerts, did have some with the PIR when I played with it, but mainly big trucks...I am running DeepStack thru BI on mine...We do have 2-way audio intercom also and when the button is pressed we get a phone call which launches our App to communicate with the visitor...Our DB does not depend on any cloud, which is what made it attractive to all of us. Also, what make these nice is their location, you get a perfect facial from where they are mounted. Their form factor (size) is also nice instead of having a big CAM. But what we have all found these days is less and less people push the button anymore.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really fan of WiFi and camera systems hanging out together :rofl:

But if anyone needs one, B&H has them in stock at $90

This is why we like our Hikvision DBs, they have full access to BI, we have the older models with PIR but most of use BI with it's motion detection. I have mine recording 24/7. Same here with no false alerts, did have some with the PIR when I played with it, but mainly big trucks...I am running DeepStack thru BI on mine...We do have 2-way audio intercom also and when the button is pressed we get a phone call which launches our App to communicate with the visitor...Our DB does not depend on any cloud, which is what made it attractive to all of us. Also, what make these nice is their location, you get a perfect facial from where they are mounted. Their form factor (size) is also nice instead of having a big CAM. But what we have all found these days is less and less people push the button anymore.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not really fan of WiFi and camera systems hanging out together :rofl:

But if anyone needs one, B&H has them in stock at $90

I am with you, wish they had a POE version. It is my only WiFi CAM, for me I have had no problems but many complain about it's WiFi strength. But I do have a solid Access Point, EAP660...