New NVR recommendation/help!

jmanko16

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new hikvision NVR. I think I am down to the DS-7616NI-I2/16P vs the DS-7716NI-I4/16P. I would like some help from the forum.

This is a home setup. I currently have 2 hikvision 3mp indoor cameras which will be used in the house in the kids play rooms, and a 3rd "indoor" camera for the garage. I am going to be using between 6-8 exterior cameras, that will be a combination of dark fighter and some 4k for different location that I still need to purchase. I am hoping that hikvsion will have a POE doorbell camera in the future that I could add later on, or may even consider the current wifi only version as well. From what I am able to see either of the hikvision NVR should work for what I need to do, with the largest difference being 2 vs 4 HD slots, and the 77 series having more alarm in/out.

1) Any concerns with the either NVR with my setup or a reason to consider a different one? (I have looked into blue iris, but prefer the ease of setup of a dedicated NVR, so not currently considering this)
2) I have 2 synology NAS currently running, with one being media/current cameras and then 2nd backup only. With increase in cameras I don't want my media server to also be tying up bandwidth all the time so like the idea of all POE with the "separate" network and recording a NVR provides. Is there an easy way to get intermittent backups to my backup synology server?
3) I would like to by from an authorized dealer that will support hikvision USA so I will not have any issues with firmware upgrades, but pricing ranges for the 7616 model anywhere from about 500-1200 US dollars from similar sites. I have considered nelly's but there 7616NI is a K series rather than I series which I do not believe has the latest version 4 software so have been looking to other dealers. Any suggestions? I don't mind a slight increase in price for support, but technically savvy and have a good knowledge of networking, and more concerned about being able to upgrade firmware if/when they come out.
4) Anyone with issues using rtsp through a hikision nvr (sounds like I may need to use monocle)? I currently have rtsp feeds going to amazon echo show and also have my Apple TV's in bedrooms able to show the live feed if necessary for convenience when kids/wife are at home.
5) Anything else I am missing?

Thanks all for your assistance and recommendations

jebt2921

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever decide between these two NVRs? I just bought the Nelly’s K version and might be second guessing because I think I need specific Control4 firmware which Hikvision responded saying they have it for the I Series NVR and I’m not 100% this K series also accepts.