New product release cycle?

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I'm wondering - do IP cameras follow the typical "consumer electronics" cycle..

With new models appearing at CES and available shortly thereafter?

I'd like to see what is coming before I embark on the challenging install I have ahead of me.

It seems at least electronics (computes?) companies (Samsung, D-Link, Netgear) have released at CES in the past. Interested in what about the more "serious" players do for their new product introduction schedules?

Thanks!

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So based on that thesis, if I can wait another couple of months, it might be worthwhile to do so...

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Either way. New models are most expensive right after CES. If you wait say 3 months at least. Generally prices have dropped by at least 10 percent for the same model. Since the day they were when announced at the CES.
Understood... But in the grand scheme of things, since I'm looking at cameras less than $300, 10% isn't going to break my budget.

It will be taking me hours to run the single wire, and mount the hardware.... While there are cameras that will work for me just fine, I hate the idea that in a month there might be something that comes out that is has a feature or enhancement that makes that 10% a no-brainer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt much will change in a couple of months. I suspect that 8 megapixels (i.e. 4K UHD) cameras will be what replaces the sweet spot for price/performance that is currently occupied by 3 MP cameras like the Hikvision 2032. But I don't think this will happen in the first half of 2015. Dahua may get some of theirs out by then ( http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw4800e-796.html ) but I don't know what the price is and I bet it is closer to $300 each than $100.

It would really make me sad to just see a refresh of the current 3MP product lines.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a good point.

At this point though, I really just have to wait two weeks to see if there is anything "interesting" that will be coming out, or if I should proceed with a purchase of a product that is already available...

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for asking this question--I was also wondering the same thing.

With regard to new products, I'd like to see more intelligent onboard pixel based motion detection and bigger/higher quality sensors. I'd rather have both of those (especially reliable motion detection without false positives) than 4K for sure...

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My searching did not turn up any new IP cameras of importance at CES.

Just in my opinion gimmicks like an IP camera built into a spotlight. Ok yes that is somewhat helpful in a number of specific cases. But the amount of coverage it seemed to get was well, ridiculously excessive. (IMHO)

Anyway - did anyone else catch any relevant news about true IP cameras that weren't bundled as a "specialty" device?