New setup advice

steve007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looks like I am going to setup my first BI system, I was after some advice really, it will be a 25 camera system across multi sites to one head office, so server will sit in main office and the cameras will connect over the Wan, I am looking at 1080p cameras set to 12 fps record on motion, what type of spec machine would you go for ? Or maybe split between to machines is this possible to run as one instance master and slave so to speak. So I don't have to setup 2 webservers and connect to 2 different machines.

The machines will only be for recording wont be used to view cameras this will be done via app or client machines. Any help or ideas would be great.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming you have VPN between your branch and home offices, this might work, but consider the WAN bandwidth:

figure ~400 kBps per cam for decent feeds (4Mb/s).
with 25 cams, thats 100Mbps over your WAN full time
(for the central server to do the motion-detection).

Better off with a BI server at each location, then you're only pulling the monitoring traffic over the WAN
as opposed to the full cam traffic 24/7. BI clients (UI2.htm and droid/ios apps) can be set up to view multiple servers...

plus consider that a single server with 25 cams will be pretty well loaded,
while several servers with 4-8 cams each will leave plenty of room for when you add more cams, which you inevitably will :)

steve007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for that, the issue I have its only 2 cameras at each location, then some cameras at head off, I was thinking of doing it over the internet as well, as all sites have fibre connections. or would this be a non starter ?

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for that, the issue I have its only 2 cameras at each location, then some cameras at head off, I was thinking of doing it over the internet as well, as all sites have fibre connections. or would this be a non starter ?
Fiber is just your transport medium, what is your bandwidth at each location? Basically you will need 5mbit OUTGOING dedicated for each camera if you only have a standard 50/25 WAN connection and 2 cameras that will only leave you 15 mb/s outgoing for business to use. Remember you up UPLOADING data, most packages have limited upload bandwidth. It will depend on your ISP's capacity, packages, and your pocket book. You can always buy bandwidth.

I hope I'm explaining this simply.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi wcrowder thanks for the advice, currently no upload limits and a decent upload bandwidth, looks like I might just put a machine in at each site. Just a seperate question do you no if the webfront end or the apps allowing to export video ?