New Starlight cameras

Reaction score
I was looking to add a couple of the Starlight 4mp cameras from the store here. The cameras I have so far have been DHCP style, with no static IP address assigned to them out of the box. Since the Starlight's are Dahua rebranded cameras, should I use a standalone router set to the 192.168.x.x range to setup the cameras? I'm using a non standard 10.x.x.x IP setup on my existing camera network/switch. I have tons on 12v power supplies to power the cameras during setup of the new IP addresses, then switch to the PoE power for install. I tried an old junk Dahua Amazon camera two weeks ago and couldn't recognize it even when connected directly to my laptop using the config software.

Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a stand-alone router, that should work. 192.168.1.108 is the default IP address that Dahua cameras come set at.

If you temporarily give your laptop a static 192.168.1x IP address, then plug it and the camera into the existing PoE switch, you should be able to connect to the camera and change the IP address as well.