new system opinion?

kipster7

n3wb
Reaction score
currently have 4 hikvision camera recording to ds718+. I would like to add more cameras but don't know if synology can handle traffic. I like to record 24/7 not motion.
would I be better to switch to blue iris? I have not taken the leap yet. Or can the synology handle 4 more cameras maybe 6 for a total of 10?

I have two ds-2cd2042wd-i 4mm (they are so/so but not great)
one ds-2cd2085fwd-i (seems like a good camera)
and one ds-2cd2463go-iw (this one keeps craping out for some reason) its in the garage

can you guys tell me what cameras work for you? I would like to put a couple by the street to read license plates any suggestions?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
A Synology DS718+ is not the most recent, yet powerful beast. From the specifications (): Maximum IP camera: 40 (total of 1,200 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses). So recalculate how much 1200fps at 720p is on your current setup, and you'll know quicly if your 4K images can be handled well ;-)

Regarding your LPR question: there is a whole forumsection dedicated to this topic: LPR

Happy Camming!
CC

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, my 214play has 8-10 cam running and has done for many years.

It’s starting to mess me around a little this week but I presume that’s just age of the unit and drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro