New to all this, DS-2CD2232-I5 questions and more

joyork

n3wb
Reaction score
I have decided at last to buy a CCTV camera and have spent a few days reading so much my head is ready to explode!

IP cameras seem to be the way to go so I was thinking of buying something like the DS-2CD2232-I5 as it looks pretty good bang for buck (58ukp from eBay)

I have a few questions...

Firstly, at work we have an old axis camera which outputs mjpeg and we use an excellent program called Contacam to record the live feed. Unfortunately Contacam doesn't work with rtsp natively (there's a kludge using vlc as a go between which I don't fancy) so I need an alternative. I have an HP n54l nas box which I plan to put together soon so I was thinking I could either install Linux and go with some nvr software (not tried any so bit of an unknown) or install Windows and use Blue Iris. Does this sound sensible or are there other alternatives?

Secondly, could I use a cheap poe injector plug and then combine that with a homeplug type device to easily route the network around the house? I'm not sure where to install the server so it would be nice to have options...

Finally, and probably most importantly. The eBay ad describes it as multi language v5.2.5 ... Will this cause problems? Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the eBay listing in question.

Many thanks in advance

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not noob bashing (these questions have been ask a million times) but read the first post of the first sticky on this sub-forum: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2733-Hikvision-FIRMWARE-TOOLS-change-language-extract-files-and-create-own-firmware, so god knows what you have been reading over the last few days. The 5.2.5 firmware and buying Chinese cameras on eBay is covered in near enough every other thread.

Then visit here and read these

You can use homeplug yes and you can use a cheap poe injector but personally I wouldn't use anything cheap when it comes to 220v, I guess I just don't fancy burning my house down to save a few quid.