New to IP Camera Technology

MikeV99

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy.

New to to the forum and the technology. After browsing through several threads one can see that the forum has a lot of knowledgeable members with sophisticated systems. My goals are a little more basic.

I would like to setup 5 or 6 wireless IP cameras to monitor my pet via a mobile device. I do not need motion detection nor recording (other than maybe a SD card). I would like good resolution, pan & tilt, audio, and access via an iPhone/iPad on the Internet. I have read the negative comments about wireless but running cable is not an option. The cameras would only be used when no one is home so it should have less impact on my existing LAN? If needed could a second network just for the cameras be setup?

I'd like reliable equipment with clear video and stable operation.

I would appreciate advice as to equipment, configuration, security, and sources of information.

Thank you.

Mike

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Howdy.

New to to the forum and the technology. After browsing through several threads one can see that the forum has a lot of knowledgeable members with sophisticated systems. My goals are a little more basic.

I would like to setup 5 or 6 wireless IP cameras to monitor my pet via a mobile device. I do not need motion detection nor recording (other than maybe a SD card). I would like good resolution, pan & tilt, audio, and access via an iPhone/iPad on the Internet. I have read the negative comments about wireless but running cable is not an option. The cameras would only be used when no one is home so it should have less impact on my existing LAN? If needed could a second network just for the cameras be setup?

I'd like reliable equipment with clear video and stable operation.

I would appreciate advice as to equipment, configuration, security, and sources of information.

Thank you.

Mike
Welcome.

Hikvision Cube's can provide a good amount of what you're looking for with exception to the PTZ. If you aren't recording you don't need great picture so 2.8mm cams could provide a good coverage for rooms. As far as the wifi, i'll default to most of the others here but the drain a normal recording camera would put on the network is pretty big. If you're just looking for cameras for streaming, i'd say a second network wouldn't hurt. For security reasons tho it'd be best behind a VPN and I know more then a few people here would say to restrict the inbound/outbound traffic for each camera to be safe. That way you'll log into the VPN and be able to view them from the network in a secure manner.

MikeV99

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I have setup SSH before but never VPN. I'd need an iPhone/iPad client as well as port forwarding (I think?). Some of the threads I have read don't like port forwarding either. A lot of the newer less expensive cams are only supporting P2P. Looking at the stuff on insecam, it is nerve racking. The more I study, the less I know.