new to ip cams world .. need help/direction with some problems

rewind

n3wb
Oct 22, 2024
oce
Hello,

I just had a Dahua system setup in my home and am very new to this subject.

I have been trying to tune the default "setup" (from the installers) .. but since it was installed by others, I don't know much about the following hardware installed (but am trying to learn):

For the following items:

Dahua NVR
  • DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-AI
  • V4.001.150I000.0.R, Build Date: 2023-10-12 (original firmware in package)
  • V4.005.0000001.0.R Build Date: 2024-07-16 (updated firmware via bin file on USB)

Dahua Cameras
  • DH-IPC-HDW3649H-AS-PV
  • V3.140.0000000.21.R, Build Date: 2024-05-14

All IPC’s are connected directly to the NVR.

Problem 1:
After updating the NVR to v4.005 firmware .. when attempting to open the website (via IP), everything looks “too big”. I’ve tried “zoom out” on the various browsers (Brave v1.65 and Firefox v115.0.2 on MacOS and Win11), but then the font becomes illegible. Best I can do is “zoom out” to 80% and have to scroll the pages a bit to use the webUI.

The webUI was “normal looking” on firmware v4.001, but it had issues with allowing user accounts to access the config of the connected IP cameras. (An error of “Failed to acquire config.” for any admin accounts created. (This was resolved with v4.005 firmware.)

I've attached a pic of what this looks like in my browser.

I’ve tried to search for anyone else with similar issues but was unable to find anything similar. Can someone assist on how to overcome this or point me in the right direction?

Problem(?) 2:
The system does not synchronize user (and groups) that I have created in the NVR to the IP cameras. The “main” admin account is present and the passwords seem to sync for that account, but I do not wish to use the “god” (equivalent) account for normal logins and would prefer to use (other) login accounts.

Is this normal for (all) accounts on the NVR to sync across all devices (such as the IP cameras)?

Problem(?) 3:
On the NVR when viewing via HDMI, I am able to look at the “alerts” and then click on the “alert” to see a clip of the “event”. Is this an option available when using the webUI? (I am unsure if this “too big” issue from problem 1 is hiding a button.)

Question 4:
I've read (from some how to's on this site) that P2P should be disabled. I have disabled P2P on all the IP cameras along with "auto update". Do I need to disable this on the NVR as well?

Any assistance an/or pointer in a right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• webUI is too big.jpg
    webUI is too big.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: mat200
1- there are dozens of models and hundreds of fw updates and I don’t own that particular model, but try going to Display and adjusting resolution to a supported value if your monitor

2- this is normal. Creating user accounts on the NVR does not create them on the cameras. The NVR is accessing the camera, they can’t be accessed directly if using the NVR PoE ports

3- yes, the web UI is the preferred method. You might also want to download and use SmartPSS Lite for everyday review of footage and live monitoring. It’s less clunky.

4- unless you’re using P2P to remotely view, yes turn it off on the NVR. Your NVR is accessible (most likely depending on your network config) to the Internet. Your cameras, assuming use of the NVR ports, are not.

Reactions: rewind
1- there are dozens of models and hundreds of fw updates and I don’t own that particular model, but try going to Display and adjusting resolution to a supported value if your monitor

2- this is normal. Creating user accounts on the NVR does not create them on the cameras. The NVR is accessing the camera, they can’t be accessed directly if using the NVR PoE ports

3- yes, the web UI is the preferred method. You might want to download and use SmartPSS Lite for everyday review of footage and live monitoring. It’s less clunky.

4- unless you’re using P2P to remotely view, yes turn it off on the NVR. Your NVR is accessible (most likely depending on your network config) to the Internet. Your cameras, assuming use of the NVR ports, are not.

Hello bigredfish,

Thank you for your advice ..

1) my "system > display" seems to only affect the output to hdmi for main screen (attached to tv) and vga for the sub screen (none attached), there is no option for a "monitor" (that I am using on the computer via the webUI). currently the resolution of the hdmi output port (main) is se to 1920x1080 while my monitor's display is 3440x1440 (2k). Is there another "setting" that allows me to change the resolution of the remote/webUI display somewhere? i have tried to go lower resolution, but it did not have any affect.

i've attached a shot my "display settings" at 70% zoomed out.

2) thank you for the clarification .. I was hopeful that would/could be synced across all devices since the default admin account's password appears synced.

3) i have been reading up on SmartPSS and will get to it soon. i wanted to get the "basics" setup first before overwhelming myself with more items to learn.

4) for "alerts footage" .. i currently use the DMSS app on the phone. i also have been viewing the footage (while painfully editing the IVS and settings) on the tv via hdmi of the nvr. when i disable the P2P (of the nvr), it alerts me on DMSS that the device is offline and am unable to access it via their app.

is this where I'll need to learn to setup a VPN to my home network in order to use DMSS to view the alerts footage when not at home or can it be done differently?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• webUI - menu display-settings.jpg
    webUI - menu display-settings.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
What browser are you using?

There are many differences in FW across many models and years (as well as with DMSS and SmartPSS) so I can only speak to the ones I use regularly, which are NOT the very newest.

Yes DMSS uses P2P for sending alerts. So if you need it to do that as well as remote viewing, leave it on, on the NVR. With a PoE NVR its not necessary to have it running on the cameras.

For remote viewing, yes a vpn connection is more secure, but I run P2P on some of my NVRs now and it works fine. There are threads you can search for about security and P2P but Ive not seen any mass hacking stories about it, particularly on newer equipment. Its used extensively

Best to use IE or Edge in IE mode.

Also you may try setting your monitor to 1920x1080 to see if that solves it

Problem 1:
After updating the NVR to v4.005 firmware .. when attempting to open the website (via IP), everything looks “too big”. I’ve tried “zoom out” on the various browsers (Brave v1.65 and Firefox v115.0.2 on MacOS and Win11), but then the font becomes illegible. Best I can do is “zoom out” to 80% and have to scroll the pages a bit to use the webUI.

The webUI was “normal looking” on firmware v4.001, but it had issues with allowing user accounts to access the config of the connected IP cameras. (An error of “Failed to acquire config.” for any admin accounts created. (This was resolved with v4.005 firmware.)

I've attached a pic of what this looks like in my browser.

I’ve tried to search for anyone else with similar issues but was unable to find anything similar. Can someone assist on how to overcome this or point me in the right direction?

Yes, around summer in 2023 Dahua changed CSS files and used system fonts on NVR UI interface..
they tested this on Windows/Mac/Android/iPhone..

But they don't tested this on Mac with installed Microsoft Office - where Office installs tons of Windows fonts on Mac...
In that situation fonts are very big and all dialogs windows are too small for them..

In latest 2 firmwares on 5xxx-EI they fixed some of the styles.. And is much better.. But this is not fixed to state pre summer 2023.. Where NVR UI on Mac and Windows browsers looked the same...

You can use vector scaling on Your browser (Mac key + Minus key) to lower size of that text..
It helps a lot..

Problem(?) 2:
The system does not synchronize user (and groups) that I have created in the NVR to the IP cameras. The “main” admin account is present and the passwords seem to sync for that account, but I do not wish to use the “god” (equivalent) account for normal logins and would prefer to use (other) login accounts.

Is this normal for (all) accounts on the NVR to sync across all devices (such as the IP cameras)?

yes, it's normal...
NVR when You do camera initialization from NVR UI, creates admin account with password from NVR..
but that's it.. there is no more user/pass sync between NVR and cams..
You must manage user/passwords on cams alone...

But what You need user/passwords on cams? there should be one admin account for administration and NVR access..
All CCTV users should connect to NVR only...

Problem(?) 3:
On the NVR when viewing via HDMI, I am able to look at the “alerts” and then click on the “alert” to see a clip of the “event”. Is this an option available when using the webUI? (I am unsure if this “too big” issue from problem 1 is hiding a button.)
If You talk about AI Live feature (right side panel with a few last AI events with snapshots) on Live view screen then on web version this is also available. On bottom panel You have AI Live icon (person head icon)..

Question 4:
I've read (from some how to's on this site) that P2P should be disabled. I have disabled P2P on all the IP cameras along with "auto update". Do I need to disable this on the NVR as well?

If You want to use NVR from DMSS/SmartPSS outside Your installation network, You need P2P or VPN for that...
Most people don't like VPN's (or don't have proper routers for that), so P2P is second best solution for that..

Last edited: