New to me system

Dan Boss

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a house with 3 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras and a Dahua NVR5208-4KS2 NVR. The cameras are plugged into a switch and that switch is connected to my router and the router goes to the NVR. I know absolutely nothing about cameras or NVRs. The previous owner forgot his password so he told me to do a factory reset. On the NVR i clicked factory reset. After setting up the new password for the admin account when i try to connect the cameras it just shows orange and will not connect. I have looked all through this forum and Dahuawiki and just can't figure this out. Can something please walk me through in the most simplistic terms of how to get this working? I think my problem might be on the initial setup of choosing an IP for the network, gateway etc. Thank you

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use a computer connected to the same switch.
Go here: Template:Software - Dahua Wiki
Dowload ConfigTool version 4.09.
Here are instructions on how to use the tool.
Software/ConfigTool 4 05/Locate - Dahua Wiki
Since you have reset the NVR to defualts, the IP address for it will be 192.168.1.108
Easiest is to access the cams, and set them back to factory default as well. Then the NVR should pick them up and connect.

Dan Boss

n3wb
Reaction score
i finally got one camera to work. Now when i try to add the second one i lose the first one. I think this is because they have the same ip addresses but i don't know how to change this.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the instructions for the Config tool, you can change the IP's with it.
See the section on segment setting.