Newb Alert! Great view of the bay, and want to share it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a difference in quality. Probably, yes, but I've always been able to scratch my PTZ itch with Dahua cams sold by forum members on ebay. So I've never bought a no-name PTZ that cost more than about $150. (and those are pretty terrible)

On the bright side, you can get a 3 or 4 year SquareTrade warranty for just about any camera purchased on ebay.

Maybe you should ask forum member @milkisbad for his product catalog: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?257-Good-source-to-buy-Hikvision-items-at

Last I checked his Hikvision PTZ prices were pretty unbeatable.

I really have the PTZ itch, but I would like to get a few more stationary cams first and then when I feel like my coverage is pretty good, I want to get a PTZ. I think the PTZ will mostly be just for fun to be nosy and spy around on the neighborhood unless I log onto it while something is going down, then I may be able to use that zoom to get some good evidence. What is the current best sweet spot for PTZ's, if there is one? Like how the 3mp hikvisions are the current sweet spot for fixed cameras. I am not beholden to hikvision by any means, though I am happy enough with the 2 I own that I have a 3rd on it's way from China as we speak.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now I'd have to say Dahua SD42212SN-HN is probably the best value. 2 Megapixel, 12x zoom, super fast PTZ motors. It can be found via Google from several US sellers for $530-$540 plus the cost of a wall mount. It is one of the cams I have in my ptz interface demo. I won't take the demo links down until Monday so you can still try the cam if you haven't already.

The only problem I had with this cam is its CPU seems a bit sluggish. I had to lower the frame rate and bit rate to keep the PTZ controls responsive. Otherwise, it is a great cam. Though it doesn't have IR LEDs of its own, it can see IR light from other cameras or illuminators at night. Also it is hard to tell which way the camera is pointed if you look at it from a distance, which is nice.

You can pretty easily find 20x zoom, 3 megapixels, or both for similar money buying from some smaller Chinese vendor on ebay or aliexpress. But then you're dealing with a seller in China and if you want a warranty you have to get it from squaretrade for extra $$.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now I'd have to say Dahua SD42212SN-HN is probably the best value. 2 Megapixel, 12x zoom, super fast PTZ motors. It can be found via Google from several US sellers for $530-$540 plus the cost of a wall mount. It is one of the cams I have in my ptz interface demo. I won't take the demo links down until Monday so you can still try the cam if you haven't already.

The only problem I had with this cam is its CPU seems a bit sluggish. I had to lower the frame rate and bit rate to keep the PTZ controls responsive. Otherwise, it is a great cam. Though it doesn't have IR LEDs of its own, it can see IR light from other cameras or illuminators at night. Also it is hard to tell which way the camera is pointed if you look at it from a distance, which is nice.

You can pretty easily find 20x zoom, 3 megapixels, or both for similar money buying from some smaller Chinese vendor on ebay or aliexpress. But then you're dealing with a seller in China and if you want a warranty you have to get it from squaretrade for extra $$.
Playing with your PTZ's right now, I must admit even at night they are pretty nice, I'll check them out tomorrow too. I love how you created the panorama that can be clicked on and it moves the camera around.