newb here from france

Murlock7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Completely new here, I'm looking for two POE cameras for a maximum budget of 200 € / camera, these cameras must works well with blue iris.
One for the back of my house with a wide viewing angle and can "identify" at least 10m (33feet)
and another for the front allowing to identify at 10 m (33 feet)
and if possible to recognize license plates at ~ 20 m (66 feet).
I am in front of the only entrance to my street (dead end) and I would like to list the cars that enter there.

Thanks
plan.png

Murlock7

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!

and another for the front allowing to identify at 10 m (33 feet) IPC-T5442T-ZE
and if possible to recognize license plates at ~ 20 m (66 feet). IPC-B5442E-Z4E can do the job
Hello thanks for your reply I just send you a message because I have seen that you will make some discount for the black friday :)

does the IPC-B5442E-Z4E could also identify at 10 m ? or do you suggest i should take one IPC-T5442T-ZE and one IPC-B5442E-Z4E fr the LPR only?

Any proposal for the camera for the backyard ?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

You are trying to do too much with too few cameras. A camera that can provide a broad overview of the yard can't make an identification further than three or four meters from the camera. A camera that can make an identification at 10 meters won't have a broad overview. This is simply because of the physics of focal length of the lens, size in millimeters. Here are two charts that may help you understand and decide what you need.

Andy has made some very good recommendations. The 5442 series of cameras are excellent performers.

License plate reading, even with the large plates used in European countries, takes a dedicated camera or two. To get license plates at night the shutter speed needs to be quite high. This results in a basically black picture with only head/tail lights and the license plate visible in the frame. If you have a large amount of ambient light, exceptional street lighting, you may be able to use color but normally night captures of plates are in black and white. Have a look at these threads -

LPR

dori.png

lens sizes.JPG

Note: I believe the second chart shows the angles at an effective identification distance.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Adding to all the great advice.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. If you want to capture plates, you need a camera just for that.

You have bigger plates than the USA, so the Z4E may work, but many here find that for plates it is tough much beyond 60 feet. The 5241-Z12E is the same price as the Z4E but has double the optical zoom capabilities, so most of us go that route.

During daytime it may act as an overview, but at night the shutter tends to need to be faster to capture the plate, and the faster the shutter, the darker the image.

Most of us run B/W to take advantage of the reflective properties of a plate which is why we can run a faster shutter to get the plates. Once you decide to keep it in color, the shutter speed slows way down and might not be fast enough to actually capture a plate.

You may have enough light and the car moving slower to capture, but you may also need to decide what is more important - the overview or the plate. Most of us run two cameras.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1636998757540.png

Murlock7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advices.

If I understand correctly for the garden camera if I want a wide angle the identification will be possible only around 4m, it already seems good to me, everyone seems to agree that the IPC-T5442T-ZE would meet the need

For the front of the house the IPC-B5442E-Z4E would allow plate reading during the day as well as an overview, and for the night : as the street is well lit and cars cannot drive fast in entering the street (+ European license plate) maybe I could have some usable pictures

I just have to figure out how much Import Fees I may have to pay if I take these cameras on Amazon or Aliexpress

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you may benefit from the bigger plates, street lights, and lower speed to get some plates at night. It can happen, but it is a rarity. Need right combination of shutter speed and light.

Check with member @EMPIRETECANDY here as he has an Amazon and Aliexpress store and you can DM him to purchase directly and he may have some ways to keep the costs down for you.

Last edited:

Murlock7

n3wb
Reaction score
Another question :
what would be your recommandation for an indoor camera? one on the top of a stair and the other for a 10 m*5 m room (with POE and blue iris compatibility)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 fixed cam in 2.8mm would work if you want to stay with that series of camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The shutter speed isn't that related to the vehicle speed, but is related to the amount of light produce by head/tail lights more than anything else.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The advice above is very valid. Also, I just got my first IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm (4MP) and it does very well in my backyard. Very happy with the improvement over my 5 year old HikVision 4MP. The detail by day is similar, but at night the 5442 far exceeds my old cameras abilities.
As you can probably tell, I am only attempting to identify no more than 30 foot, but really only about 10 feet or so. Meaning the camera covers the window and door, so if they get close to either I will have a very clear image (6 to 12 foot distance if they peek inside). Not attempting to identify anyone out in the yard. I have a different camera for that! In all I have 3 cameras covering my back yard.
BYEast 2021-11-15 12.02.52.80 PM.jpg

I also just replaced my front porch camera from a 5 year old HikVision 4MP with this model: IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 3.6mm (2MP) and the improvement is so very noticeable. Again, not such a big change by day, but by night it is much better.

I have 3 cameras total covering my front yard/porch