Newbie help please

cctvnewbie

n3wb
Reaction score
A friend of a friend has had a CCTV system setup installed by another party, and they frankly have done a terrible job.

First issue is that two cameras were not functioning, when I popped round to have a look I could immediately see that the waterproofing on the outside Lan cable has not been installed properly, the rubber band 'gasket' was placed inside the housing and not in between the to screw threads protecting the cable, subsequently water has gotten inside & corroded 5 cameras, with 2 of them severely corroded and the cameras have died! I have gone round all 11 cameras, re terminated 5 plugs and waterproofed them all by installing them the correct way.

The issue I have is with two new cameras that have been bought to replace the dead ones, I cannot get the HIK Vision (DS-7732NI-E4/16P) to display a picture from the two new cameras HIK Vision (DS-2CD2042WD-I)

I have never worked on a CCTV system before so I did not realise the cameras needed to be activated, additionaly the sub domain for these cameras is 192.168.254.xx which is different to the default 192.168.1.xx I did change this IP range using the SADP Tool so thats all sorted.

I believe the issue to be related to the Activation password & if I am understanding this correctly, this password shouldbe the same as the one setup on the HIKVision box, if that is the case then the owner is not aware of this password and the ones that I have tried that he thought they could be, have not worked. Do I need to change this on the HIK box somehow and if so any pointers? Also if this is changed, will each camera currently working stop until there password is updated?

Any other ideas?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Default password is 12345 on tbe cameras, they may have not changed the passwords