Newbie looking for advice with cameras and motion detection

mirablue

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole of security cams and the million different options. So I was hoping to get some insight on a new IP camera setup for my house.

The house is newly built and it was prewired with CAT 6 to four different camera locations. At this point i'm looking to start with 2 cameras which will cover the 2 main areas of concern. Looking at different manufacturers, i've been lured towards Dahua since they seem to have a pretty good performance for the price. I'd also like to stick to a NVR setup instead of Blue Iris due to simplicity and not having a PC to dedicate to it.

Both areas are fairly well lit by external lights and street lighting during the night and I was looking at the IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI as an option. The night time colour image quality looks fantastic with a bit of ambient lighting so i'm not sure I need IR on the camera. We also get a lot of bugs/spiders and lots of snow in the winter (i've read of people having issues with these and their cameras with built-in IR illuminators). But i'm obviously wide open to your suggestions.

As for an NVR... I don't know. I've looked at the Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 which I can buy for about the same price as the 5442 cam i mentioned.

One of my biggest questions is how reliable motion detection is on these kinds of devices and how quickly will it alert me when an event is triggered? Without more advanced software like Blue Iris, can I rely on the motion detection to filter out bugs, moving trees, and other stuff I don't care about? I'd like to have motion detection notifications, but without being flooded by false positives.

The options i've listed more or less reflect the budget range i'm going for. I'd really appreciate any advice and direction, especially if i'm way off base!

Thanks