Newbie Looking for Camera Advice

veesdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

I’ve spent quite a bit of time lurking on this forum (it’s a great resource), but this is my first post. I’m looking for some advice selecting cameras for the outside of my house and would appreciate any advice.

In a recent reno, I’ve run Cat6 throughout the house, and to 3 locations outside (the circles in red, in the following photos). On the front porch (I'd like to see people approaching the door, and also the driveway ... possibly the kids that jumped on the hood of my car a few months back ...)

At the side (it’s a 7’ wide alley between the houses):

And above the rear exit (there’s also a rear-walkout to the basement):

I’ve had a bit of advice from friends towards Hikvision cameras (I’ve seen recommendations here for the LTS versions of these, but I'm a total newbie at this).

Off-hand, I was thinking about a 2.8mm turret for the front, either a 2.8mm or a 4mm turret for the rear, and not sure what to do at the side ... another turret, possibly a PTZ? I don’t know if it matters whether I go for the 2, 3 or 4 MP versions for the turrets, but ideally would like the sweet spot between price and functionality. (I’m also in Canada so everything costs more, meaning I'll be spending $$$ to log the nightly raccoon attacks.)

Bonus question: while I do have a decent NAS I could store the video on, I’m inclined to purchase a NVR so I have a dedicated unit for this (and to supply power, since my main switch is non-PoE). And for expansion, since I’ll probably add a camera or two inside the house at some point. Does anyone feel strongly about a particular system?

Any advice as to whether I’m on the right track here and what to buy?

Many thanks,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is your driveway compared to where the front door is? possible a google earth over head of your home?

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome! You are ahead of the game if you already have cat5... 2.8mm Hikvision turret works well for tight areas like a front porch, and the 4mm on longer views. The Huisun is just fun to use, specially when you need 250deg or long views you want to zoom in on.

Bonus answer, use BlueIris on a I5 or better PC...

See my current recomendations below...

veesdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! The covered porch is about 9' W x 7.5' Deep. The parking pad is about 17' from porch to the sidewalk. So not a huge space.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@veesdad, I personally would go with a 2.8mm at the front door and then 4mm cameras at that other locations, you mostly likely could get away with a 4mm at the front door as well however you may not get a person standing at the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

veesdad

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks spyfly. I suppose I can always try out the 2.8 and if doesn't work, I can re purpose it inside, etc.