Newbie looking for suggestions on new camera setup.

Reaction score
Hello all! Thank you all in advance for helping out. I'm pretty new to ip cameras. I currently have a Lorex 8-Channel HD NVR with 2TB HDD, 4 3MP Cameras with 130' Night Vision. I'm looking to upgrade, and potentially cover some dead spots in my camera coverage. I would like a nvr that is compatible/accessible with Android and iOS. I've attached a rough picture of my current layout.

I stumbled onto empiretechandys store, but know nothing about cameras. I saw on his store duel cameras in one, which would be nice to extend my coverage for my one Ethernet cable to each corner of my house.

I thought about getting two of those and replacing cameras 1 and 4, turning 1 to cover the south side, and having camera 4 cover the West side. Thoughts? Suggestions? What nvr? What's the difference in cameras?

Thanks again everyone!

Camera.jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Camera 1, 4, use the T180 camera is a good choice for wide view watching.need to select the junction box or the vertical wall mount.

Camera 2, 3 use the IPC-T5442TM-AS, But need to select proper lens,
select the junction box or the vertical wall mount.

1698119475015.png

If budget is good just use the IPC-T5442T-ZE 2.7-12MM LENS

NVR use NVR8CH-8P-EI , this is the latest new one support the T180 cams well and NVR also support face recognition for the face detection cams .

Reaction score
Camera 1, 4, use the T180 camera is a good choice for wide view watching.need to select the junction box or the vertical wall mount.

Camera 2, 3 use the IPC-T5442TM-AS, But need to select proper lens,
select the junction box or the vertical wall mount.

View attachment 175794

If budget is good just use the IPC-T5442T-ZE 2.7-12MM LENS

NVR use NVR8CH-8P-EI , this is the latest new one support the T180 cams well and NVR also support face recognition for the face detection cams .
It's showing 1184 sound right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone says here - buy once, cry once.

Many of us have boxes of cheap cameras where we tried to be cheap and they just don't cut it. I get sick thinking about how many better cameras I could have had if I instead spent that money on better cameras instead of trying to go cheap.

I have tried darn near every major brand/OEM you can get your hands on, including many no name cams on Amazon, and Andy's cameras represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

His cameras come with 2 year warranties, but with most electronics, it either goes out in the first year or lasts long enough you would want to upgrade anyway.

If you can't afford it all at once, then buy a few and fill in later. Much better than buying full coverage that all the cameras can do is tell you what time it happened but provide nothing useful to the police to identify the perp.

Reaction score

Many of us have boxes of cheap cameras where we tried to be cheap and they just don't cut it. I get sick thinking about how many better cameras I could have had if I instead spent that money on better cameras instead of trying to go cheap.

I have tried darn near every major brand/OEM you can get your hands on, including many no name cams on Amazon, and Andy's cameras represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

His cameras come with 2 year warranties, but with most electronics, it either goes out in the first year or lasts long enough you would want to upgrade anyway.

If you can't afford it all at once, then buy a few and fill in later. Much better than buying full coverage that all the cameras can do is tell you what time it happened but provide nothing useful to the police to identify the perp.
Makes sense, I paid about half of this for my original system about 6 years ago, so it's definitely time for a refresh.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even though the Lorex system is Dahua, wait until you see the difference between the consumer brand and the real thing!

My neighbor spent $1,3000 on his Lorex system and was underwhelmed at it's performance when a door checker came by.

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why - because the consumer brand uses sensors designed for 2MP and shoves 8MP on them to cater to folks seeking higher MP cameras, but those cameras need over 4 times the amount of light as a 2MP on the same size sensor!

Reaction score

Are these nvrs mobile (iOS and Android) friendly?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, they have apps that will look fairly similar to the Lorex app you have now since it is Dahua.

You could probably use the same app if you are comfortable with the app you have now.

My neighbor that slowly switched over uses the Lorex app as he feels it is easier to use and to make it simple for his family as they didn't need to "learn" a new app. Lorex and Amcrest spend more on the app side than Dahua does, so many use one of those apps.

But many here use the Dahua app as well.

Reaction score
Even though the Lorex system is Dahua, wait until you see the difference between the consumer brand and the real thing!

My neighbor spent $1,3000 on his Lorex system and was underwhelmed at it's performance when a door checker came by.

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why - because the consumer brand uses sensors designed for 2MP and shoves 8MP on them to cater to folks seeking higher MP cameras, but those cameras need over 4 times the amount of light as a 2MP on the same size sensor!
Yeah, they have apps that will look fairly similar to the Lorex app you have now since it is Dahua.

You could probably use the same app if you are comfortable with the app you have now.

My neighbor that slowly switched over uses the Lorex app as he feels it is easier to use and to make it simple for his family as they didn't need to "learn" a new app. Lorex and Amcrest spend more on the app side than Dahua does, so many use one of those apps.

But many here use the Dahua app as well.
I appreciate the help, this is all foreign to me. It's a little scary to spend $1k on a system that isn't in a box store. Do you know if the t180 will operate on cat5e?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the T180 is just fine on cat5e

Many of have been there regarding spending this kind of money. I started out my journey with 4 or 5 all-in-one box kits from the store over the years. Each one failed to provide the capture to do anything of any value for the police.

Then I stumbled across this site, but was still hesitant to spend that much for one camera and bought one camera from Amazon so if it didn't perform like everyone claimed, I could easily send it back.

And now here I am with more cameras than I care to admit I have LOL, but they have literally helped retrieve thousands of dollars of stolen stuff or damages for my neighbors and put people behind bars. My all-in-one kit could never do that.

We unfortunately get our share of door checkers and the neighbors with cameras were talking how their great arlo, ring doorbell, Lorex, Foscam, and reolinks captured something happened but the police couldn't find any useful video from them other than what time their car was rummaged thru (several had their car rummaged through and their cameras were less than 10 feet from their car) and they were chatting how this is just an accepted fact from camera systems and poor nighttime performance. I just stood there smirking to myself.

One of them joked that my cameras probably didn't catch anything since I didn't have a car on the driveway that night and they skipped me. I didn't want to brag or boast LOL, but I let them see what my cameras captured and they were blown away. The money shot that got all their stolen stuff back was my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to a spot on the sidewalk 60 feet away at the street where the perp walked past and my LPR got their plate.

Now if they would just pay me for saving them money LOL.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
One comment, you have no front door coverage. Whatever happens at the door is not evidenced. I'd also want a camera that wasn't wide angle just to get a face shot. The answer is maybe repositioning of one of the cameras at the front or maybe a 5th camera at the door which could be something as simple as a doorbell camera or maybe better something like the boobie cam or a simple well placed "normal" camera covering the door. CCTV isn't cheap for good equipment. If money is an issue, start with the most important cameras 1st, and work back from there as budget / savings allow.

Reaction score
One comment, you have no front door coverage. Whatever happens at the door is not evidenced. I'd also want a camera that wasn't wide angle just to get a face shot. The answer is maybe repositioning of one of the cameras at the front or maybe a 5th camera at the door which could be something as simple as a doorbell camera or maybe better something like the boobie cam or a simple well placed "normal" camera covering the door. CCTV isn't cheap for good equipment. If money is an issue, start with the most important cameras 1st, and work back from there as budget / savings allow.
Thank you for the reply, I do have a doorbell camera. I'm curious about your comment about wide angle and faces. Do wide angle cameras struggle with capturing faces or details?