Newbie looking to upgrade

ropany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a an existing Hikvision NVR system that's about 10 years old. I'm looking to upgrade. The app sucks, doesn't have motion alerts, etc. Anyway, I went to a camera store today and mentioned I was looking for a camera that had 8MP 1/1.2" sensor and a turret type system installed (as per this site's recommended sensor size for that resolution). They recommended Uniview and said they had one which is IR, 8MP, 1/1.2". They're coming next week to give an estimate so will have an idea of which one specifically they want to install. I couldn't find this camera on Uniview's website. Anyone know which one they're talking about? I asked what they thought of Dahua (as I was thinking of Andy's cameras) and they said it wasn't as good (of course they would if they only installed Uniview which tbh I don't know yet).

Anyway, what I'm looking for is to get a nice setup with all the bells and whistles. i.e. nice crystal clear high def resolution, motion alerts, facial recognition, etc. I am a newbie so I know I'll be blasted by some members (have been on other forums where I'm trying to learn things but overwhelmed by the technical lingo and dont have the time with two kids under 4) for not providing enough details or not knowing enough about cameras.

What are some of the cool features available that I should definitely have and what's nice to have? I'm willing to pay up depending on these features. The camera websites overload you with technical info and I have no idea how to compare one brand vs the other.

How many manufactures make 8mp turret with 1/1.2" sensors? I only found Dahua/Empiretech so far but it's not IR (which maybe I don't even need).

If you could propose me a system, what would it be? Call it an 8 camera setup with NVR. budget 3k, 5k, 10k (I know wide range but looking to see how much more I get for the money).

Thanks!