Newbie struggling with Cat6 termination, or ...?

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Decided on Cat6 cable from monoprice and have carefully studied lots of videos and instructions sets about terminating cables. After about 10 attempts to install 2-piece Cat6 connectors, I seem to be getting better with each attempt and they are looking very clean.

However, after connecting my last and best creation into my TPLink smart switch/tester, it reports that my cable doesn't work because of crosstalk. Would I be creating crosstalk with my termination, or am I using a bad cable, and is there a way to tell the difference?

I'm reluctant to go through too many more iterations before figuring out what may be wrong. Suggestions -- and thanks.

Edit: Using this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13561

Using Platinum Tools RJ45 Cat6 2-piece connectors (not the EZ variety).

Edit: After even more googling, let me guess: I either need shielded connectors or unshielded cable?

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need non shielded connectors for cat6 is all, if they are plastic connectors they should be non shielded I believe. You using a tester or switch to test it? Are you using A or B standard? Make sure to cut the wires as flush or even as possible before putting into the connector.

I like the ez connectors , a lot of people on this board do. It saves me lots of time

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well most cat6 is 24awg and you got 23awg, so its going to be more tricky to get a good connection in there since its a lil too big.

everyone struggles at first, but you should have found success within 10 attempts.. I havent made a bad one in eons, even with crappy crimpers.. if your struggling like this its a good sign your connectors and wire are not playing nicely.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've never seen a switch with a built on tester

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've never seen a switch with a built on tester
I read about it in these forums. Quote from the manual for the TPLink TL-SG108E:

Cable Test
This switch provides cable test to diagnose the connection status of the cable connected to the switch and the distance to the problem location, which facilitates you to locate and diagnose the trouble spot of the network.
Apparently, it is not terribly effective, however. After reporting various crosstalk and short errors, depending on which port into which I plugged the cable and in what direction, I decided to see if it would run a camera, and damn if the camera didn't light right up. I also used it between a 1Gib device, and the switch has been reporting no packet errors (after 3.5 million packets) and a transmission rate of 1GiB. And the camera image looks fine.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And so, apparently attempts 11, 12 and 13 were better, and my time to assemble these has dropped. I picked up tips from lots of sources (youtube, Belden site, etc.) and have incorporated them, using the best from each.

I now have two sample cables that are up and running. As my deceased ex-father-in-law used to say: "Practice makes improvement".

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
23AWG is hard to work with, but the signal is usually excellent. There are clamshell ends you can get that some people like as it makes lining up the wires easier. With some of the thicker cables I just use a patch panel or keystones where I just punch down the wire and use a normal patch cable to complete the job.