Newbie Turret cam feedback: LaView 8.3MP 4K vs Hikvision ECI-T24F6 vs LaView Saturn 4k 8MP

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a LaView NVR kit in 2019, description as follows: 4MP 2688 x 1520P Full PoE IP Camera Security System, 8 Channel H.265 NVR w/ 4K Output, 4 x 4MP Full HD (2688 x 1520)

Last year I added a Turret cam - a LaView LV-PTK66802 with specifications below. I love it compared with my "kit" 4MP cameras - night and day difference (no pun intended) in night/color mode.

I want to add a second Turret cam, but between then and now I discovered this forum, and learned that this is simply a rebranded Hikvision 4MP NVR.

Questions:
  • I do not believe that my NVR can actually "use" 8.3MP cameras, since it is only a 4MP NVR. Is that correct? If so, what is it that makes this Turret cam show up so much better on my NVR Live view so I know what to shop deals for?
  • If I understand correctly, I can use any HIKVISION camera and it will connect easily without doing anything special. Correct?
Assuming both of those assumptions are accurate, can somebody provide feedback so I know which of the following 2 cameras would be better value for my setup?

Hikvision ECI-T24F6 4MP Outdoor Network Turret Camera with Night Vision & 6mm Lens
This one is only $69 so half the price I paid for the laview brand

OR
LaView Saturn Series 4K UltraHD 8MP Turret Dome Ourdoor PoE Audio IP Camera,2.8mm, h.265+, True 120dB WDR, IP67, MicroSD card slot, IVS,ePoE
LaView Saturn 4K 8MP PoE IP Turret Cameras - This looks to be a slightly different version of what I have already - and is $124.

A similar HIKVISION is on B&H for $119, but it is only 4MP. This is whats confusing - is my 4MP NVR working with an 8MP camera and giving me better resolution?

LV-PTK66802 Turret specs:
  • Compatible with LaView NVR with simple Plug & Play setup
  • Stunning 4K (8.3MP) High Resolution recording and playback w/ 102° Wide angle
  • Smart Line Crossing Detection and Intrusion detection
  • High definition live view, playback and remote access on Apple, PC and mobile platforms
  • Protect your home or business, day or night, with superior night vision up to 100 feet away
  • Suitable for indoor and outdoor use with IP67 weather proof rated. Operating temperature -22°F~140°F
  • 3D DNR and 120dB True WDR helps produce clear images
  • Built-in microSD card support up to 128GB
  • Support ANR (automatic network replenishment)
  • PoE (802.3af, class3) or DC 12V
  • ONVIF compliant
  • 2 Year Manufacture Warranty
  • Hikvision OEM Model

Last edited:

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
  • I do not believe that my NVR can actually "use" 8.3MP cameras, since it is only a 4MP NVR. Is that correct? If so, what is it that makes this Turret cam show up so much better on my NVR Live view so I know what to shop deals for?
  • If I understand correctly, I can use any HIKVISION camera and it will connect easily without doing anything special. Correct?
Your NVR might very well support 8MP cameras, you would need to check the specs. But since you already have a 8MP camera, you can check out what resolution it is working at to make sure, if it is recording at 8MP, your NVR supports 8MP.

If you use a Hikvision camera, you might have to configure it as an ONVIF camera if LaView uses a modified Hikvision protocol (which I do not know). A LaView camera will probably be plug and play.