Nightmares with "your connection is not private" errors, has anyone seen this specific situation?

Reaction score
So, I appeciate all of the suggestions.
Here's what I think so far.....part of the problem diagnosing is that it was so erratic. . . I did the following: took all the cameras to DHCP, with the default 88 port. Removed all cameras from the system, reconnected them one by one, watched the stability of the network, rollin', rollin', suddently, we're down. Remove the last camera added, reboot the router, still down, remove another camera, still down, or, in some cases, we're back rolling. What the heck???
I had done all of the obvious things such as checking computer time, using google DNS, and as I provided on the clips on my first post, it didn't matter WHAT website I visited, it was always the same error and indicated a "myfoscam" error for the certificate, so I searched every single certificate store on every single computer, nothing! arrrgh
I knew my system well enough to know that with a wireless providor, no one can "get in my back door" other than foscam themselves, but I just wasn't ready to believe that foscam themselves had hijacked my cameras, so I kept looking. For those who have never used a wireless ISP, THEY are the ones with a "public IP" in a sense, we are shielded and most wireless ISP's do not even offer the option of a static IP, and I don't have one. I cannot even get into any of my computers, cameras, etc, can't even use Blue Iris unless I do a VPN, which I haven't done, and with our type of internet, you can't even use port forwarding or DDNS service to access your computers remotely. Starlink, my previous provided, was basically the same thing, no access through their system, if you want access, you have to use a VPN service. Even though I was confident it was NOT a virus, I ran an offline virus check on all computers on the network.
I have no port forwarding on my router, and had removed all reserved addresses, just ran it as DHCP, allowing the router to assign all addresses, no statics in any computer or camera. I had basically taken my system back to a basic generic system. I do always run the 192.168.10.XXX for my network, and with our ISP, we are DHCP for our internet connection. I do normally use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my DNS on my computer, but leaving it totally assigned vs this did not change anything.
Since EVERY computer on the network faced the same problems and it was clearly related to secure sites, all that the clearing of everyone on my own computer just made me have to look up every single user ID of mine, ha ha.
The specific error I was getting did NOT allow you to proceed, seriously, I was locked down and dead in the water each time.
This is our vacation home, so I only had short periods between the extremely active lifestyle we have here, to try to isolate the problem, and time was running short, which is why I haven't had a chance to post here in a few days.
It was bugging me that the errors could not be pinned down. . . . I would think, "ahhhh, this is the last camera I added and now we're good", but invariably, I would have to remove a couple or several to be back up and running, and yes, I rebooted everything every time I removed a single camera! And then, I could add various ones that I had removed back in, and all would be good for awhile, then boom, suddenly we're skidding to a halt or completely down suddenly. I knew that the router was more than capable of handling the low number of devices on our system, and I had always taken my video feeds low enough to not overload the system, and they ONLY record if activated, and that is a local database, not even loading the video to the cloud! Talk about pull your hair out!
THIS IS WHAT I THINK/HOPE IS THE PROBLEM: I noticed that I could always, ALWAYS, access the cameras through the foscam apps, and certain cameras did not seem to retain the time settings....when I would go back to them, even though I had set the time to sync, use daylight's savings time, set the proper time zone, it had reverted back. By yesterday afternoon, I had removed three different cameras from the system, and we've been stable continuously. We leave for home tomorrow, so if we stay stable, I'll take them with me, and investigate this further, simply because I HAVE TO KNOW! I'm not sure why the system would need to be active for awhile before grinding to a halt, but it appears that I was dealing with THREE cameras and evidently not a long enough time between removing and reinstalling to let the system destabilize? All cameras were up to date on hardware/software, but the ONLY thing I noticed was the refusal to save the time sync settings.
I will come back eventually, and comment if I can be certain this indeed is the problem.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I appeciate all of the suggestions. [reformatted with more line breaks]

Here's what I think so far.....part of the problem diagnosing is that it was so erratic. . . I did the following: took all the cameras to DHCP, with the default 88 port. Removed all cameras from the system, reconnected them one by one, watched the stability of the network, rollin', rollin', suddently, we're down. Remove the last camera added, reboot the router, still down, remove another camera, still down, or, in some cases, we're back rolling. What the heck???

I had done all of the obvious things such as checking computer time, using google DNS, and as I provided on the clips on my first post, it didn't matter WHAT website I visited, it was always the same error and indicated a "myfoscam" error for the certificate, so I searched every single certificate store on every single computer, nothing! arrrgh
I knew my system well enough to know that with a wireless providor, no one can "get in my back door" other than foscam themselves, but I just wasn't ready to believe that foscam themselves had hijacked my cameras, so I kept looking. For those who have never used a wireless ISP, THEY are the ones with a "public IP" in a sense, we are shielded and most wireless ISP's do not even offer the option of a static IP, and I don't have one. I cannot even get into any of my computers, cameras, etc, can't even use Blue Iris unless I do a VPN, which I haven't done, and with our type of internet, you can't even use port forwarding or DDNS service to access your computers remotely. Starlink, my previous provided, was basically the same thing, no access through their system, if you want access, you have to use a VPN service. Even though I was confident it was NOT a virus, I ran an offline virus check on all computers on the network.

I have no port forwarding on my router, and had removed all reserved addresses, just ran it as DHCP, allowing the router to assign all addresses, no statics in any computer or camera. I had basically taken my system back to a basic generic system. I do always run the 192.168.10.XXX for my network, and with our ISP, we are DHCP for our internet connection. I do normally use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my DNS on my computer, but leaving it totally assigned vs this did not change anything.

Since EVERY computer on the network faced the same problems and it was clearly related to secure sites, all that the clearing of everyone on my own computer just made me have to look up every single user ID of mine, ha ha.
The specific error I was getting did NOT allow you to proceed, seriously, I was locked down and dead in the water each time.

This is our vacation home, so I only had short periods between the extremely active lifestyle we have here, to try to isolate the problem, and time was running short, which is why I haven't had a chance to post here in a few days.

It was bugging me that the errors could not be pinned down. . . . I would think, "ahhhh, this is the last camera I added and now we're good", but invariably, I would have to remove a couple or several to be back up and running, and yes, I rebooted everything every time I removed a single camera! And then, I could add various ones that I had removed back in, and all would be good for awhile, then boom, suddenly we're skidding to a halt or completely down suddenly. I knew that the router was more than capable of handling the low number of devices on our system, and I had always taken my video feeds low enough to not overload the system, and they ONLY record if activated, and that is a local database, not even loading the video to the cloud! Talk about pull your hair out!

THIS IS WHAT I THINK/HOPE IS THE PROBLEM: I noticed that I could always, ALWAYS, access the cameras through the foscam apps, and certain cameras did not seem to retain the time settings....when I would go back to them, even though I had set the time to sync, use daylight's savings time, set the proper time zone, it had reverted back. By yesterday afternoon, I had removed three different cameras from the system, and we've been stable continuously. We leave for home tomorrow, so if we stay stable, I'll take them with me, and investigate this further, simply because I HAVE TO KNOW! I'm not sure why the system would need to be active for awhile before grinding to a halt, but it appears that I was dealing with THREE cameras and evidently not a long enough time between removing and reinstalling to let the system destabilize? All cameras were up to date on hardware/software, but the ONLY thing I noticed was the refusal to save the time sync settings.

I will come back eventually, and comment if I can be certain this indeed is the problem.
I still think the simplest explanation is a LAN IP address conflict with your router.

A

Little

Punctuation

Goes

A

Long

Way

If

You

Want

People

To

Actually

Read

Your

Posts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still think the simplest explanation is a LAN IP address conflict with your router

Are you suggesting that if all cameras are DHCP, and each shows an address on the IP Camera app in the block I allow them to use, and I’ve got my router on #1 and start the allowed ip’s at #2 through 52,I would have a conflict? Just trying to understand what I’m missing.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that if all cameras are DHCP, and each shows an address on the IP Camera app in the block I allow them to use, and I’ve got my router on #1 and start the allowed ip’s at #2 through 52,I would have a conflict? Just trying to understand what I’m missing.
No, I'm suggesting the offending camera may not be configured as you think it is or that it's defective in some way. I'd also still recommend disabling UPnP on your router.
This is simplest explanation I can come up with based on how I've read your posts and you've ignored most of my suggestions. You could look at your computer's ARP table (pay attention to the MAC addresses) when you're having problems and when your not to get a pretty good idea if this is happening.

I've tried to think through various possibilities, but most don't make sense to me. You could always try using something like wireshark to make sense of what's happening, but that would likely be difficult.

I'd try a factory reset on the offending camera or reflashing the firmware.

Last edited:

manic5oul

n3wb
Reaction score
@christyhicks something you might want to check in on, after you get back home. Is what your ISP has for the amount of uploaded data used for last 2 weeks. Also always have UPNP disabled it's to dangerous, have included a couple links below. Being that your Linksys EA7500 Router is connect to the internet and the cameras are connected through Wi-Fi to the router. I don't see any problem with a bad actor like the side note @jmhmcse (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) suggest with an infested camera or hacker messed things up royally. Given myself being hacked early summer 2020, while the SolarWinds supply chain hack was going on and trying to convince them that their Data Center was compromised. Yeah, basically they treated me like an ignorant fool. Also just last summer 2022 they found China had implanted malware into a bunch of routers during SolarWinds storm. Yeah I'm just all about good news, I consider UPNP like PowerShell for routers.