No hardware acceleration with subs?

henrye718

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I noticed I am not getting hardware acceleration (intel quick sync) during live view with all subs on 30 cameras.

I will only get hardware acceleration when clicking on a video stream and it opens to the full screen and starts streaming the main. I also tested this by taking one of the cameras in live view off subs and let it be a main in the live view, that one cam did indeed use hardware acceleration. So, my system is only using hardware acceleration on one stream, seems useless to me since all the muscle is needed to view the multiple live views.

Is this by design or is there a setting to change this?

Also, would an Nvidia card fix this by switching over to its hardware acceleration.

Thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have found that hardware acceleration is problematic with newer versions of BI.

Further, substreams is more important than hardware acceleration. Many have found that the CPU% needed to offload video to the GPU is higher than the CPU savings.

In addition, hardware acceleration is no longer showing up in the optimization wiki because of this.

So I'd recommend shutting hardware acceleration down before it causes you a problem.

I have more cameras than you and I saw my CPU% go down when I disabled hardware acceleration. YMMV.

henrye718

n3wb
Reaction score
Many of us have found that hardware acceleration is problematic with newer versions of BI.

Further, substreams is more important than hardware acceleration. Many have found that the CPU% needed to offload video to the GPU is higher than the CPU savings.

In addition, hardware acceleration is no longer showing up in the optimization wiki because of this.

So I'd recommend shutting hardware acceleration down before it causes you a problem.

I have more cameras than you and I saw my CPU% go down when I disabled hardware acceleration. YMMV.
Thank you, your reply was very insightful.

henrye718

n3wb
Reaction score
To add to this, the developers got back to me after a week. They stated that if your sub streams in live view are under 480p it will not try to decode them.

Also The reason for my for this thread in the first place was at times my high speced computer system that is running BI was revving up to 80% CPU usage, but at other times it was at 20-30% max, I thought it had something to do with night time camera streams needing more power to decode a dark night view. That was not the case it was because 3 of the cams are set to turn off at night due to being run off batteries on a solar power system. Somehow cams that have no signal are causing massive CPU usage. A bug I guess. I might make this issue its own separate thread.