non-intrusive (smoked?) indoor camera recommendation

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm considering placing two indoor cameras inside the house (one in the porch and one in the kitchen).

The main reasons for these indoor cameras are so I can more easily identify/track burglars inside the house (past the entry point).

For outdoor I already used 4MP Dahua/Hikvision turrets.
These turrets are quite visible and since the two new cams are placed inside the house I need them to be less intrusive (I don't want my wife and guests to feel completely uncomfortable).

Does anyone have a suggestion?
I was thinking about a mini dome such as http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-IPC-HDB4300C-3MP-Waterproof-IP-Dome-Camera-IP66-Fixed-Lens-Onvif-with-POE-IP/32466294147.html

Are smoked domes a good idea (so the lens is hidden behind the dark glass and not visible)? Or is indoor IR-reflection really an issue with that...

Also I don't live in the US, so I unfortunately have to rely on Aliexpress.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im not sure how much thought I would put into what you are asking. I have cameras indoors and visitors are almost always clueless about them being installed. Those that do notice them haven't thought much about them when I tell them they don't record when I am home. The wife and kids only minded for about a week before they became part of "normal". Now they don't even remember that they are there most of the time.

Don't know about the smoke part and the IR as I don't have any domes personally.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is the threshold of "completely uncomfortable" and anything else? :D

Doesn't sound like a big place if only two cameras will provide coverage.

Never thought I would miss the good old days when security gear required training and a license to purchase (outside of the land of the brave, and the home of the free). Yee haw!

Secure the perimeter if security is a concern. You expecting the "burglars" to remove their balaclavas once inside?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive got a mini ufo like that on the kids room ceiling, kids still noticed it and one of the friends kinda freaked out until I told em it was cause my son has Seizures, then she thought it was cool when I brought it up on the TV and then the kids had a fun old time putting on a TV production, chasing the PTZ view around.

I am considering a pinhole camera like this for the main living area, set to record only when the alarm system is armed.. just wish I could get a 1080p version at least.. there is a mini wedge dome that I can get 4MP and wide angle I am also considering. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/dahua-IPC-HUM8101-1-3MP-WDR-tube-network-IP-camera-support-audio-alarm-IO-support-sd/32480174938.html

mainly for the line cross and facial detection, to use as a security sensor/motion alarm that my dogs/cats wont trigger.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where is the threshold of "completely uncomfortable" and anything else? :D
That's a good question. I always thought that psychologically a camera is less intrusive/present if you can't see the lens (hence smoked domes. You simply can't see whether it is pointed towards you or whether there is anything inside at all).

Secure the perimeter if security is a concern. You expecting the "burglars" to remove their balaclavas once inside?
Haha, that would be great though. I don't think many burglars expect camera's inside the house (especially when placed out of sight).

I am considering a pinhole camera like this for the main living area, set to record only when the alarm system is armed.. just wish I could get a 1080p version at least.. there is a mini wedge dome that I can get 4MP and wide angle I am also considering. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/dahua-IPC-HUM8101-1-3MP-WDR-tube-network-IP-camera-support-audio-alarm-IO-support-sd/32480174938.html

mainly for the line cross and facial detection, to use as a security sensor/motion alarm that my dogs/cats wont trigger.
That does look very cool. I might consider that too. Too bad the image quality/angle is quite a step down.