Non PoE router to PoE Dahua IP LPR camera

march11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm somewhat of a beginner and have been researching vigilantly, just can't seem to find convincing information. I've gotten my hands on a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E camera for use of reading license plates. The trouble I'm having is with setup. My router happens to be a non PoE supported router (google nest router + 2 mesh points). I can't grasp the difference between splitters and injectors and don't want to fry my non PoE router. As of now I don't have an NVR, since Dahua has an app/web based software, I'd like to try it out before I commit to an NVR. I have two main questions.

What would my setup look like without an NVR? (combination of modem -> router -> splitters/injectors -> camera)

What would my setup look like with a PoE enabled NVR?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get a POE injector and plug one ethernet into the router and the other to the camera.

When you get enough cameras to go the NVR route, then you run an ethernet from your router to the NVR and then from the NVR are all the POE ports to run ethernet cable to each camera.

march11

n3wb
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get a POE injector and plug one ethernet into the router and the other to the camera.

When you get enough cameras to go the NVR route, then you run an ethernet from your router to the NVR and then from the NVR are all the POE ports to run ethernet cable to each camera.
Perfect, thank you so much!

march11

n3wb
Reaction score

Should the cable from the router to injector be cat5e as well?
Is a 30W injector enough for my camera? It has a 12v ac port, can't find any POE specification when it comes to wattage.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter as one camera is going to be less than 10Mbps

I always go with the 30W POE+ injector so if you ever get a PTZ. The Z12E is I think around 10w with IR on.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you think you will be expanding your camera selection, you might consider getting a small POE switch now. You can find 5 port unmanaged POE switches for about $40 (like this: ). Of course keeping that logic intact, if you think you will end up with more than 4 POE cameras it would be even better to simply bite the bullet and buy a used large capacity managed POE switch off EBay. Something like the Brocade ICX-6450-24P or 48P would be perfect and only run about $125. brocade icx6450: Search Result | eBay

So I guess you have to draw the line somewhere! :cool:

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Discussion happening in his other thread, posting here to hopefully prevent people from posting twice LOL