Noob - Can I split a CAT 5e cable to power 2 cameras with 1 wire?

ropany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a house which already had a 6 camera PoE camera system (HIKVision). I would like to add more cameras in my back yard but unfortunately dont have the luxury of running a wire. As a result I'm curious if there is an easy way to use a splitter (which I won't be able to plug into an electrical outlet). So my dumb thought is I plug in the cat 5e cable I have into a splitter which allows me to plug in two cables to power two cameras. Then at the NVR, I I would need to split the return into two and plug it into the NVR.

Does something like this exist? Sorry if it's already been covered but looking for the latest information. I've read that it could damage the wire.

Thanks!

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy one of those 2 port POE pass through switches.
They typically take POE+ (802.at 25w) input and provide two POE (802.af 12w) outputs.
Enough to power two POE 802.af fixed cameras. This may mean you need to change your POE power supply to a POE+ version.

General advice - Do not try powering a POE+ camera (like a PTZ) on these.
This Hikvision POE mid span switch allows a POE+ device on the output, but obviously if the input is POE+ 25w, you cannot get two outputs of 25w each.
Plus the repeater uses some of that power too (Input wattage > (cam 1 + cam 2 + mid span) ).

(Photo - Avigilion dome, Bosch dome and Hikvision DS-1H34-0102P)
1697506166120.png