Not sure how i'm gonna solve this one.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assume a turret? Can you put a piece of board on the top to make a "hat bill" kind of shield? That is lens flare and you may be able to block it with something. Many bullets have that little overhang. (Not sure what actually term is for it. Photogs call it a "Flag")

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Assume a turret? Can you put a piece of board on the top to make a "hat bill" kind of shield? That is lens flare and you may be able to block it with something. Many bullets have that little overhang. (Not sure what actually term is for it. Photogs call it a "Flag")
yeah that's what I'm thinking, if I can remember tomorrow around the same time I'll climb up there and use my hand to block the sun and make sure that does it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with our Entrance overview cam. Seems the damn sun won't stay in one place :facepalm: Could just wait a month and it should be fine :p

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
at least it has an iris on it to keep you from damaging the sensor.. winter time fucks a couple of my cameras in the day on the south side, but luckily by the time the prowlers and gangstas come out the sun has retreated from view.. If you search I posted a link to a sunrise/sunset caculator a while back that shows you where the sun goes over the year to help you try to plan for this shit.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
at least it has an iris on it to keep you from damaging the sensor.. winter time fucks a couple of my cameras in the day on the south side, but luckily by the time the prowlers and gangstas come out the sun has retreated from view.. If you search I posted a link to a sunrise/sunset caculator a while back that shows you where the sun goes over the year to help you try to plan for this shit.
Yeah I was thinking about that LOL I'll search for that calculator, hopefully the sun doesn't get into a spot where some sort of hood won't even help, I will play with it tomorrow afternoon.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with hoods is they attract another, often PIA- bees. If it's a nice sunny spot and they find that delightful roof to make a home under, all you get is their activity all day long. That said, I've had some success making a hood out of aluminum roof flashing cut to size and then lining the inside with black gaffers tape. Ultimately, it didn't help in the situation I was trying to solve because it needed to extend out quite a bit to effectively block the sun but then you guessed it- it encroached on FOV. Aiming to avoid the problem is really the only way, or just living with it but that can be a long wait every day. Best to re-aim.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with hoods is they attract another, often PIA- bees. If it's a nice sunny spot and they find that delightful roof to make a home under, all you get is their activity all day long. That said, I've had some success making a hood out of aluminum roof flashing cut to size and then lining the inside with black gaffers tape. Ultimately, it didn't help in the situation I was trying to solve because it needed to extend out quite a bit to effectively block the sun but then you guessed it- it encroached on FOV. Aiming to avoid the problem is really the only way, or just living with it but that can be a long wait every day. Best to re-aim.
it looks like it starts around an hour before sun totally sets, though I will keep a close eye on it tomorrow, yeah I am worried the hood would need to be so long it would poke into the FOV, I'd most likely have to just live with it because I don't have any other options really, the sun rises on the back of the house and sets on the front lol actually I can go back and look at the recorded video to see when it started, we shall see tomorrow if I can do anything, maybe I can at least cut down to where it's only a problem for like 10 minutes or something lol. or block out the worst of it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
After reviewing the footage it was only really bad like to the point where you couldn't identify someone from about 6:35 to 6:45, 10 minutes, dunno if that is even worth the effort lol.