NSC-DB2 lost mechanical chime

Cooldood

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been running a Nelly Security NSC-DB2 quite successfully for three years with BI.
Recently, after a PGE outage, it no longer rings the mechanical chime inside the house.
Camera still woks fine, although the unit gets quite warm to the touch.
I have been emailing Nelly's support and they have been helpful but we have not cured this as yet.
Things we know.
There is 27Vac in the wiring from the transformer.
The chime works if I short the wires at the doorbell.
The doorbell is on the most recent firmware, it has been removed from the Guarding app, the app deleted, reinstalled, the doorbell reset, and added back into the app.
The app setting for mechanical chime is on.

Any helpful suggestions are welcomed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have a huge Thread for these DBs.

Check out the Trouble shooting section...

Cooldood

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks David, that is a very informative and very long post.

I did the power off, press and hold reset, power on and did have to set everything up again.

I used the EZVIZ app this time, on Android. I noted that once the bell was recognized, if I pressed the button, I got a nice loud chime at the NSC-DB2, but still nothing on the mechanical chime inside the house.

I completed the setup in the app, telling it that I had a mechanical chime. Now when I press the button, with the blue light on, it goes red, and the camera goes offline in the app.
I also note that with sound on, the feed in the app (while the light is blue and the camera online) has a loud buzzing/droning.

The transformer is a 3 year old unit, Heath Zenith SL-125-02, multi voltage, configured for 24Vac and 20VA. It appeared to work fine for 3 years, and my multimeter still reports 27Vac from it. Do we think it is not providing enough current? Should I replace it, or should I try a lower voltage?
Apologies if the answers are buried in the thread, but I could not find this scenario.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks David, that is a very informative and very long post.

I did the power off, press and hold reset, power on and did have to set everything up again.

I used the EZVIZ app this time, on Android. I noted that once the bell was recognized, if I pressed the button, I got a nice loud chime at the NSC-DB2, but still nothing on the mechanical chime inside the house.

I completed the setup in the app, telling it that I had a mechanical chime. Now when I press the button, with the blue light on, it goes red, and the camera goes offline in the app.
I also note that with sound on, the feed in the app (while the light is blue and the camera online) has a loud buzzing/droning.

The transformer is a 3 year old unit, Heath Zenith SL-125-02, multi voltage, configured for 24Vac and 20VA. It appeared to work fine for 3 years, and my multimeter still reports 27Vac from it. Do we think it is not providing enough current? Should I replace it, or should I try a lower voltage?
Apologies if the answers are buried in the thread, but I could not find this scenario.

DId you switch to EZVIZ firmware in DB when you tried setting up with EZVIZ app or use Nelly's firmware and setup with EZVIZ app?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since the problem coincides with a power outage, maybe the NSC-DB2's Power Booster module failed as a result of this event?

- Thomas

Cooldood

n3wb
Reaction score
Still on firmware supplied by Nelly, forgot to say that is 200321, supplied by Nelly support.
They also sent a new, updated looking, power kit that made no difference.