NUC6i3SYK BlueIris

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I happen to have a spare NUC sitting around with the specs below. My current system consists of (5) IPC-T5442T-ZE and I have a TL POE switch with enough ports to accommodate. I also have a Synology DiskStation DS218play, which I can use to store footage. It's running two RED drives. I have a 6TB Purple I can toss in though.

I had originally planned to pick up a 6th gen i5 but wondered if this could handle my needs? OK if not, I'll just sell the NUC :)

NUC6i3SYK i3-6100U
2.3ghz / 8GB RAM / 256 SSD
Intel HD Graphics 520 / Ubuntu 20 (can install on Win10)

Thanks!

EDIT: my budget is ~$200, assume I can do a bit better than the i5!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally NUCs due to their form factor are not a good mix with Blue Iris. Remember that processing video is constant and never stops even if there is no motion. That keeps the CPU pretty busy even with hardware acceleration. That said, you may get away with it if you use sub streams for all the cameras. That can drastically reduce CPU utilization which can make the NUC work OK. I'd keep a close eye on CPU utilization and temperature though.

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally NUCs due to their form factor are not a good mix with Blue Iris. Remember that processing video is constant and never stops even if there is no motion. That keeps the CPU pretty busy even with hardware acceleration. That said, you may get away with it if you use sub streams for all the cameras. That can drastically reduce CPU utilization which can make the NUC work OK. I'd keep a close eye on CPU utilization and temperature though.
Good call-out, I'll either find another use for the NUC or send it off to a good home. Thanks Sebastian!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk